1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PMC xb2 or xb3

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by sendtobrit, Mar 14, 2005.

1. sendtobrit

sendtobrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody I am new to this forum and was wondering if anybody has heard or has thoughts on the PMC subs xb2 or xb3? These are definitely higher end but was wondering how they are compared to the Velodynes? The price for the velodynes is so much cheaper but the technology is way different!! PMC uses transmission lines compared to box technology. I understand PMC is not well known in the states but maybe someone in the UK has heard them before!! Curious if anyone has any opinions.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Some of the PMC speakers use transmission line technology but surely not the subwoofers. PMC speakers are well known and very well respected over here but many forum members who buy their speakers tend to partner them with Velodyne or SVS subs.

3. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Given PMC's heritage i'd imagine the subs are good. The xb2 and xb3 do use transmission lines, but remember they're passive so you'd need to partner them with a high-current power amplifier that reflects the quality of the sub.

4. sendtobrit

sendtobrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your opinions!! I'm thinking of doing mb2's upfront and aml1's as surrounds. I have heard that it is best to stay with the same manufacturer when doing a setup!! Is there any truth to that?

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The best and most cohesive soundstage will alway come from using similarly voiced speakers all around which normally means the same range from the same manufacturer.

I haven't heard the AML1's but I know that they are held in high regard by those that have heard them and any of the better subs from M&K, SVS or Velodyne should prove to be a good partner

6. sendtobrit

sendtobrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian!!