PMC Wafers...

kevshed

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

in the process of specifying my new setup - and in order to meet the ying/yang of spousal acceptance .... whilst maintaining discrete - but good quality - I've decided to opt for PMC Wafer 2's for my front sound stage (Wafer 1's for rears).

Just wondered if anyone here has experience with them?

My installation is a little unconventional - As i'm going to place all 3 speakers quite high (Above the picture rail) and use the 'beam up' (well down) function to steer the sound stage.

Anyone ever used them in this type of way ?

thx

Just wondered if anyone here has experience with them?

Yes, I use a pair of Wafer 2 as surround speakers in my setup and they perform superbly.

My installation is a little unconventional - As i'm going to place all 3 speakers quite high (Above the picture rail) and use the 'beam up' (well down) function to steer the sound stage.

Anyone ever used them in this type of way ?

I haven't had the need to use the 'Beam Up' function for any installations so far, but brief experimenting with the feature in the shop indicates that it does work pretty well.

Yes, I use a pair of Wafer 2 as surround speakers in my setup and they perform superbly.

I haven't had the need to use the 'Beam Up' function for any installations so far, but brief experimenting with the feature in the shop indicates that it does work pretty well.

Thanks.. ok, feeling more confident in my decision i think - thanks :)

Issue i have now, is the centre being high and behind my screen.... leader may be in the way, need to check my measurements.

I'm also considering Wafer 2s myself (to use with an existing TB2+ centre), but I wondered what sort of level of amplifier I might need to use with them? I realised yesterday that they don't allow BiAmping which was my initial plan (using my Arcam P90/3 and some TBA amp).

I'm thinking in terms of an older processor like an AudioLab 8000AP combined with more Arcam power amps like perhaps a P1000 or P7. Or perhaps an Arcam AVR500 if I could stretch to it (rather than the above secondhand options). An AVR600 is out due to initial cost as the other options could be done piecemeal.

Just trying to get a feel for how high to shoot for the amp side of things, given that I won't be able to Biamp and I'm wondering how revealing the Wafer2s would be of a 'better' amp.

I've actually changes my plans, as i was unable to find a good deal.

For my surrounds, i've now bought some KEF in-ceilings - which achieve the beam i need...

For on-walls in the front stage - i've gone for Image Audio IA-8's and an IA-C..... sounded very similar to the PMC Wafer 2's but much easier to please the mrs....

I'm driving with an FMJ P7 - and the IA stuff can be bi-amped, which is what i wanted.... take a look.

Kev

I've actually changes my plans, as i was unable to find a good deal.

What exactly do you mean by couldn't find a good deal?

What sort of price had you intended on paying for them, or more to the point what sort of discount had you envisaged getting?

What exactly do you mean by couldn't find a good deal?

What sort of price had you intended on paying for them, or more to the point what sort of discount had you envisaged getting?

I was looking for some ex-dem as retail was more than i was prepared to pay for surrounds. To be fair, I did find and buy some - but then the Mrs got upset because they were silver and not white so i had to return them.

I paid ÂŁ800 for the pair - which was a good price.

Kevshed,

What are you impressions of the image audio speakers? I have looked over their website,but can find very little information about them otherwise, noone seems to know of them and I cant find any reviews anywhere.

I would like to see the Audio Image IA8s put up against the Wafer Wafer 2s. With Kev saying they sounded very similar to the Wafer 2s I would be intrigued to see the results from a proper head-to -head.

Last edited:
I would like to see the Audio Image IA8s put up against the Wafer Wafer 2s. With Kev saying they sounded very similar to the Wafer 2s I would be intrigued to see the results from a properr head-to -head.

I'd like to see a review too - BUT, only if i'm proved right :) (I wasn't able to compare them side by side unfortunately)

In all honesty - this was a bit of a risk purchase for me. I had decided on Wafer 2's - then contemplated in-walls for a while - then back to Wafers. Wafer 2's were on the short list - but i was able to demo some IA-8's at PJ Hi-Fi in Guildford - who i ended up buying from.

The swinger to me - was the ability to conceal them in the room better than the wafers - and they had a very good matching center speaker - which i also bought. My wife loved the image idea too - which was a bonus.

I think for an on-wall - they hold up very well indeed. Like PMC, they also do a smaller brother for those interested.

Saying all of that - my kit is all still in boxes, the room is just being plastered, so i havent heard anything in my room - Fingers crossed it all works out !! Hoping to be up and running by end of November/Early Jan - I'll be posting the full refurb story and images of my setup once its installed.

Kev

Did you demo the speakers connected to the AV9/P7?

I have an AV8/P7 and am looking to replace my floorstanding speakers with something a little more child friendly and the image audio are a consideration.
Im a little worried by your statement that they are good "for an on wall" was kindof hoping they wouldnt be much of a compromise from traditional speakers

Wafer2 in-wall owner here.....as far as in-walls go they're stunning :thumbsup:

Noticed there was a single Wafer2 iw on ebay a couple of days ago, going cheap....

Did you demo the speakers connected to the AV9/P7?

I have an AV8/P7 and am looking to replace my floorstanding speakers with something a little more child friendly and the image audio are a consideration.
Im a little worried by your statement that they are good "for an on wall" was kindof hoping they wouldnt be much of a compromise from traditional speakers

Sadly, i didn't get a chance to try on my AV9/P7 as im still between houses (kit is for a renovation... im 75% there...)

I Heard them on some Naim kit. Until i get the properly setup i cant give an honest verdict. In the demo, i thought they sounded very good - though are they 'as' good, as my B&Ws - hard to tell.... for movies i think so (which is primary use for me to be honest) - For 2-channel audiophiles... i'd say i doubt it very much. They are a full-range speaker, and there is lots of detail in the design to offer an excellent sound.

If you are desiring 'little' compromise, you are going to have to test at home - which is difficult. (i gave up trying) - but for me, i had considerations that drove my decision other than sound quality - wife, kids, smaller room..... i'm just hoping that i dont regret it...... i'll post more when i am up and running.

Kev

Thanks for the reply,
I have managed to demo these myself now (at kent home cinema) and I agree they sound pretty good, again not set up with the arcam or in a home environment so not ideal setup.
However I also listened to KHC's artcoustic setup and came to the conclusion I preferred the image audio sound. Even without a sub being used they still seemed to have plenty of range and were certainly a "warmer"(im no reviewer) sound than the artcoustics and a bit closer to my current kef sound.
So anyway an order is going in.

I have another question for you now though kevshed, what images have you ordered? have you gone for custom ones or ones off the website? there doesnt seem a great deal of choice on the website so im trying to find somewhere else to get some image ideas.

Thanks for the reply,
I have managed to demo these myself now (at kent home cinema) and I agree they sound pretty good, again not set up with the arcam or in a home environment so not ideal setup.
However I also listened to KHC's artcoustic setup and came to the conclusion I preferred the image audio sound. Even without a sub being used they still seemed to have plenty of range and were certainly a "warmer"(im no reviewer) sound than the artcoustics and a bit closer to my current kef sound.
So anyway an order is going in.

I have another question for you now though kevshed, what images have you ordered? have you gone for custom ones or ones off the website? there doesnt seem a great deal of choice on the website so im trying to find somewhere else to get some image ideas.

Glad you liked them :)

I just went for the flower ones...... may change them over time. I think anything with bold colors looked a bit suspect - i think the printing on material gives a somewhat unpredictable result - so i went safe.

May well get some customs done once we are settled in... but stock was fine for now. Did you go the the center too ? If so, that adds another dynamic, as matching the colors could be difficult if not something simple. (was warned off plain white grill, as drivers show apparently)

Just looked up - i went for : Flower01, Flower02 and flower0102c

agree with you comments on range, i thought they did well without a sub... had to ask if they even had one connected as i thought they went pretty low.

Kev

Hi guys,

Just wanted to provide an update on this thread....

My house, is nearing completion - yesterday my screen went up, today the PJ - and this afternoon i'll be building my rack - all ready for speaker mounting at the weekend.

But.... there is a curveball.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, i have opted for the Image audio IA-8 and IA-C pair. I bought the IA-8s after a demo... but bought the IA-C blind - which has transpired to be a mistake..... one i may regret.

The challenge, is that the thing is 'bloody massive'.... not an understatement. The original plan, was to mount the speaker under the TV - just above the fireplace, which sounds logical - But, once i unpacked the thing and held it in position, it was clear that this was not going to get any kind of spousal approval.... the thing just looks awful above a fireplace.

So..... real compromise having to be deployed here....and i'll either be lucky and it will work ok, OR it means i'll have to ditch the centre channel entirely.

Bottom line, is that i need to mount the speaker above the TV, above the picture rail on the wall. In order for this to work, i'm going to need to raise the screen area of the projector about 2ft (so that the micro-perf is in front of it) - and i'm hoping, that my seating position is far enough away for it to sound ok - and not sound like its above my head.

Appreciate their is more than a real risk that this isn't going to work...... in which case, i'm either going to have to ditch the channel, or revert back to a PMC wafer for the center channel, where i can use the beam down function..... but it wont match my IA-8's tonally...

Sheesshhh what a pain.

Will update over the weekend once i have audio.....

Kev

Appreciate their is more than a real risk that this isn't going to work...... in which case, i'm either going to have to ditch the channel, or revert back to a PMC wafer for the center channel, where i can use the beam down function..... but it wont match my IA-8's tonally...

Why it that I am thinking you should have bought PMC Wafers all round from the start and you wouldn't have this problem at all?

I hope that the money you saved by not going for the Wafers was worth it.

I feel a "I told you so" moment coming on.

I hope that the money you saved by not going for the Wafers was worth it.

I feel a "I told you so" moment coming on.

Sigh......

It wasn't about saving money..... it was mostly about trying to please the wife! However..... suspect you may be right :(

maybe this is grounds for divorce, and i can get the dedicated room i want that would solve all these problems !!!!! :lease:

Never mind, could be worse.

Good news though - my rack is wired.... pleased with that part ;) So, speaker install at the weekend, and we'll see.

Just noticed i need to update my kit list too...

just to update....

All works fine - phew.. thank god for that.

Will post a detailed install thread when i get a chance.

thanks for the advice.

Kev

Well ive got mine installed too now and Im very pleased with them.
I have Bi-amped the IA8's and have some anthony Gallo ti's for surround effects. Still got to properly run through setting the arcam up with them but I am very impressed with the build quality and how well they fit to the wall.

Did you put the centre above in the end kevshed? I have no fireplace so the centre is pretty much at ear height and sounds pretty good to me.

Well ive got mine installed too now and Im very pleased with them.
I have Bi-amped the IA8's and have some anthony Gallo ti's for surround effects. Still got to properly run through setting the arcam up with them but I am very impressed with the build quality and how well they fit to the wall.

Did you put the centre above in the end kevshed? I have no fireplace so the centre is pretty much at ear height and sounds pretty good to me.

hi bud - yes, i had to mount it high, but it works fine luckily.... not ideal, but got away with it. I also bi-amped the IA-8s with my P7. Not posted my final thread on the project yet, as still tweaking and decorating a bit - nearly there though - im loving the install.... so pleased with the speakers after a soemwhat complex process :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom