PMC Twenty23 Upgrade

scol78

Established Member
Reaction score
Running Cambridge 851A and 851N with PMC twenty 23 at the moment in a 4m x 4m square room.
What do you think would be a good upgrade from my present speakers.
Ive thought about the PMC twenty5 but are double the price of present ones ,would they be twice as good ? Im unable to demo the PMCs.
Im listening to mainly digital music run through jriver

Atc smc40 are worth an audition, can be had just over £2k second hand.

Example but 4 or 5 on eBay the moment ATC scm 40 speakers | eBay

Example, nice black pair with funky grills ATC scm40 speakers (latest version) – Electronics & computers – Christchurch, Dorset – Marketplace | Facebook

Worth a read -

Review

ATC SCM40 Floorstanding Loudspeaker Review

This guy went with them after a home demo of the twenty26 and the atc won easily according to him.

ATC SCM40 VS Spendor D7 VS Wilson Benesch Square 3

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Kef R7's are getting very good reviews, and are being described as very close to reference.

I've looked at the R7 ,I think may be a little too big for the room
What do you think to the R5,would they be a good upgrade to the PMCs ?

I Remember the older R500's were the sweet spot of the older R Series so the R5's would probably suit you better, i would of gone for the R5's if they did them in Black Ash or Oak.

Demo'd the R5s today, fantastic speakers.The shop wouldn't let me demo them at home so i can do a side by side comparison with my PMCs.
I still don't know what to do ?
They sound so good in the shop, but at £2000 do i just take the risk and order them ?
Has anyone got any views on what they would do ?
Stick with my PMCs or go with the Kef R5

I would say this is a sideways step (similar price point and position in range) so would be different rather than significant improvement imo.

I would definitely stick with the PMC's for now.

I don't see much point in making relatively small, incremental improvements to speakers - which would seem to be the case from your lack of confidence that the Kef's are hugely better. I would want to wait until I could afford a dramatic change. The only case I could see for spending on incremental improvements would be if this were offset by a future, dramatic decrease in the current, second-hand value of your PMC's.

If I were paying new money then I would also try and find a dealer who would let me have a home demo. Maybe your dealer's also not that confident that they would be a substantial improvement.

In the meantime I think I would learn more about the acoustics of my room and what it could handle. Maybe analyse your room using REW, try and borrow different sized speakers from friends, or even try and arrange a 'bake-off' with members of a hi-fi forum.

Perhaps just a new pair of stereo, floor-standing speakers could be just what you need. But also try and take a long-term view in regard to your whole kit working together, not just the speakers. Sometimes it's better to take a completely fresh approach rather than making alterations here and there. For example you might come to decide that a better overall solution would be to introduce room correction, and/or maybe some very-well integrated subwoofers, perhaps using active crossovers, and perhaps stand-mounts rather than floor-standers. Or maybe some active stereo speakers. I appreciate that you've already invested money on some expensive electronics but I would presume that they have a good second-hand value that could off-set the cost of something like a new amp with superb, built-in, room-correction and cross-over. This is relatively new technology, which I imagine will become more affordable than current products such as Lyngdorf.

What is it that you find unsatisfying about your PMC's?

Could be the room affecting the sound square rooms notoriously hard to integrate speakers with and I personally wouldn't buy without trying at home first I found this out the hard way if they won't let you home demo go elsewhere with your hard earned. Speakers always react with the room and your electronics what you hear in the shop could be completely different when you get them home.

I would say this is a sideways step (similar price point and position in range) so would be different rather than significant improvement imo.

Have you heard the new R Range? they are significantly better in every way to the PMC 23's which makes me think you may be guessing. I've just demo'd the R5 on isoacoustics feet and they were phenomenal, almost reference!

Go and have a listen before judging on just specs and price....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom