PMC surround advice

Jabes

Established Member
Reaction score
After my initial question about Wafer 1's all round, I'm thinking about PMCs a bit more seriously.

I am quite tempted by (and think I can swing the wife) proper fronts, but using the wafer 1's for rears.

How does something like this look:

GB1i fronts, DB1Mci centre, wafer 1 rears
REL B1 or B2 (probably B2) sub

Best wishes
James

Looks good to me. I have the same front set up as you are planning and they sound great. The GBs and DB centre work very well together. I then have DBs for rears and a REL T1 sub. The B2/B3 should sound even better. If you have the budget then go for it, you will not be disappointed.

Maybe even thinking about the B3... I have some size concerns about the sub (I don't have one currently with my B&W setup and have to sneak that in)

If you have subwoofer concerns, ask in the subwoofer forum. There are very capable alternatives for a lot less money than any of the 'B' Series.

Russell

I have this set up, but use a Wafer 1IW for a centre channel purely because I have no where to put the DB1C.

I tried loads of different speaker systems before getting hold of this one. If I said it was an epiphany that we would still be an understatement.

I have this set up, but use a Wafer 1IW for a centre channel purely because I have no where to put the DB1C.

I tried loads of different speaker systems before getting hold of this one. If I said it was an epiphany that we would still be an understatement.

Dale,

Any idea of how much that setup would cost, roughly? It sounds like a great setup that interests me for my next upgrade!

The Wafer 1 in wall units are about £675 each, I am not sure how much the GB1i's can be picked up for, as I have the limited edition Signatures which were around £1200 in 2007. You will be looking at well over £3K...:eek:

Any idea of how much that setup would cost, roughly? It sounds like a great setup that interests me for my next upgrade!

Some prices for you:
(These prices were valid prior to the VAT rate cut so they may vary slightly from what you'd pay now.)

PMC DB1i: £825 per pair
PMC DB1M-Ci: £475 each
PMC TB2i: £1050 per pair
PMC TB2M-Ci: £580 each
PMC GB1i: £1330 per pair
PMC FB1i: £1950 per pair
PMC OB1i: £3200 per pair
PMC CB6i: £1700 each
PMC PB1i: £5500 per pair
PMC EB1i: £6500 per pair
PMC IB2i: £8275 per pair
PMC IB2i-C: £3750 each
PMC MB2i-P: £9500 per pair
PMC MB2i-P-C: £4350 each
PMC MB2i-P-XBD: £17500 per pair
PMC BB5i-P: £13995 per pair
PMC BB5i-P-C: £6550 each

PMC TLE1 : £1725 each

PMC Wafer 1: £1150 per pair
PMC Wafer 1 In-Wall: £675 each
PMC Wafer 2: £1730 per pair
PMC Wafer 2 In-Wall: £965 each
PMC Wafer Table Top Stand: £85 per pair

There are of course many brilliant combinations you can make up with such an extensive range, most if not all will sound brilliant.

Last edited:
So based on those prices, the GB1i's and a pair of wafer 1's will be in the region of £2500 list. I'm considering the wafer 1 as a centre - are these available on their own? As you say Dale, I'm looking in the £3k plus region which I can live with if the setup meets my expectations.....

Thanks guys.

This is a kool thread:thumbsup:

the crustloafer is the man!

Im thinking of the upgrade to pmc's from b&w's myself

my chosen combo will more than likely be

OB1i fronts
CB6i centre
DB1i rears

these are gonna be powered by sc lx81

probably gonna keep my b&w asw675 sub tho' as it does a decent enough job (and im skint!)

any comments?

I'm considering the wafer 1 as a centre - are these available on their own?

As far as I'm aware it is possible to order a single Wafer 1 on-wall speakers. I would expect it to be around £575.

Last edited:
I'm considering the wafer 1 as a centre - are these available on their own?

You appear to have made the same mistake I did, if you are going for the in wall version the price is for a single Wafer 1, they are sold individually and not in pairs:eek:

And that is three grand with out the sub, if you get a REL B2 you would be looking at another £1300 on top of that, bringing the total of Jabes proposed set up to a shade over £4500....

Scary stuff this AV business!

the crustloafer is the man!

Thank You.

my chosen combo will more than likely be

OB1i fronts
CB6i centre
DB1i rears

these are gonna be powered by sc lx81

That combo will sound fantastic, although personally I would go for TB2is as surround speakers. I see you are in Edinburgh, if you ever fancy a listen to my own OB1i and CB6i setup at home then let me know.

You appear to have made the same mistake I did, if you are going for the in wall version the price is for a single Wafer 1, they are sold individually and not in pairs:eek:

I don't think he made any mistake. My price list quite clearly states whether they are sold as pairs or single units at the quoted price. He was asking if the on-wall version was available to purchase as a single unit which I am fairly certain it is although there is no officially listed price for that.

Sorry, my mistake. I also had a price list clearly indicating the price options, but in the excitement I over looked this and read in wall/on wall as one, it was a bit strange when only when box turned up....

I have GB1i's for L/R with a Wafer 1 Centre and Wafer 1 Rears. The Front Wafer is set into a false wall with the Plasma and the rears are semi recessed into the rear wall.

I have been very pleased and have listened to a good deal more music since I put this lot together. Just for interest (before my GB1i's arrived) I listened to just the Wafers as fronts for a couple of weeks and was tempted to not worry about getting the Gb1i's as the concept of 5 Wafers was tempting.

Try and get a listen wherever you can but that's obvious I guess. I got my Wafers from Crusty but the Gb1i's came from Divine Audio who have Wafer 2's and DB1i's permanently mounted in their listening room so you can substitute these with any other PMC model as you listen away to the model of your choice.

The only question I still have are positioning for the Front L/R away from the wall and whether to put a power amp in with the Solo Movie that powers the front L/R.

Out interest I notice from your other thread you mentioned B+W M1's which is what I replaced with the PMC kit with here but I kept the PV1.

OB1i fronts
CB6i centre
DB1i rears

As Chris/crustloafer has pointed out, you are better off with TB2's as rears.

The DB1's go down to 50Hz, whereas the TB2's go down to 40Hz. That is closer to the CB6 (35Hz) and OB1's (28Hz). There is some advantage in having all the Hz values as close as possible, so you can use a lower crossover point for the subwoofer. It just helps it all integrate more seamlessly.

The sub is pretty capable and will tide you over until you can afford to upgrade. If you set your crossover to 60Hz, the sub will only be asked to produce the very lowest of notes in the region of 30-45Hz, so it may not have too hard a time of it. Obviously speakers of this calibre need a sub of equal capability, so adding an SVS Ultra will round things off nicely.

Graham

I have GB1i's for L/R with a Wafer 1 Centre and Wafer 1 Rears. The Front Wafer is set into a false wall with the Plasma and the rears are semi recessed into the rear wall.

I have been very pleased and have listened to a good deal more music since I put this lot together. Just for interest (before my GB1i's arrived) I listened to just the Wafers as fronts for a couple of weeks and was tempted to not worry about getting the Gb1i's as the concept of 5 Wafers was tempting.

Try and get a listen wherever you can but that's obvious I guess. I got my Wafers from Crusty but the Gb1i's came from Divine Audio who have Wafer 2's and DB1i's permanently mounted in their listening room so you can substitute these with any other PMC model as you listen away to the model of your choice.

The only question I still have are positioning for the Front L/R away from the wall and whether to put a power amp in with the Solo Movie that powers the front L/R.

Out interest I notice from your other thread you mentioned B+W M1's which is what I replaced with the PMC kit with here but I kept the PV1.

Thats interesting; at the moment I've got the MT30 package and so I'm looking at the same setup as you by swapping out the M1's - how does the PV1 integrate with the PMC kit? I can swing the floorstander GB1i's and definately the wafer 1's, but I haven't got a hope of an SVS Ultra! (SWMBO issues you understand!:rolleyes:)

Thanks for the info on the wafer 1's - I'll look into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have don't claim to be an expert but I have a good ear and work in the scientific imaging/video business so I'm used to commenting on what I see and hear so I'm not afraid to go against the 'percieved' grain of what is posted on here to get my kit sounding to my taste.

The system has been setup with a sound pressure level meter and there doesn't appear to be any gaps.

The PV1 is not used for music (room is 15x12ft) and for movies I set the xover to 120, 100 and 80 to try it all out and settled for 100.

Clearly, there is a lot of personal taste in what sounds best for your ear, furnishings, room size let alone the bias we all have for our own kit when we answer posts.................:eek:

In the end, be happy with what you buy and use it - a lot - until you upgrade in years to come and move it upstairs, to a mate, etc. Music and movies have never been a good to see and hear so with the level of kit you are talking about diminishing returns are on your doorstep.

Have a good listen to kit before you buy, try a home demo from a good dealer and then don't rush off to the internet to buy. Dealers can go along way if you're honest with them and they want your custom. I was happy with Divine Audio (personal delivery & setup 120 miles from their shop!) but I have been happy with all the dealers I've used in the yorkshire area.

And that is three grand with out the sub, if you get a REL B2 you would be looking at another £1300 on top of that, bringing the total of Jabes proposed set up to a shade over £4500....

Worse still, I'm now wondering about the FB1's instead of the GB1's...

Best wishes
James

Worse still, I'm now wondering about the FB1's instead of the GB1's...

Best wishes
James

Tell me about it, I too have been tempted too upgrade to the FB1i due to favourable offers at the minute, but being as my GB1's have been in the box for the last six months due to the building work, an upgrade would be a waste of money just now. And just to add to my quandary I have been offered a six month old DD-15 for a very reasonable price, and I am still on the lookout for a sub set up...

Actually, now that my OB1is are sold, it would be the new PMC PB1i that you could come round and listen to.

might just take u up on that!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom