PMC speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by garmtz, Oct 22, 2003.

1. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there! I wondered if anyone had any experience with PMC speakers? I have heard most of the models at a hifi-show in The Netherlands and was duly impressed by especially the OB1.

What attracted you in buying these speakers? What music do you listen to? What do you use to drive the speakers?

Thanks!

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Only my opinions,garmtz,but whilst I liked certain aspects of the mid and treble on these,I didnt like the bass,which in common with other transmission line,I found to be a bit on the slow side,if well extended and controlled.

Amp was a Chord integrated.

If you like them however,that's the most important thing,and there are lots of satisfied customers.

3. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmmm... In my opinion, the bass was contrary to your observations, very fast and in time with the rest of the spectrum. Not that I am defending these speakers, just my own observations.

That's a nice coincident, I am using Chord as well... :)

Thanks for your comments! :smashin:

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    NP,garmtz....It's always interesting seeing what someone else thought about something you've also heard.

I've always found transmission lines to sound that way to my ears,and have owned a couple in earlier years,but the bass extension for the box size can be very impressive,usually at the expense of efficiency(which I know isn't a factor in PMC's case though).

At the time I was looking,I was comparing speakers from PMC,Spendor,Wilson Benesch,Linn and B&W.

5. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi Garmtz,
    I rate the FB1's very highly, I have a pair in my hifi setup and would agree with you re the bass, but as Alexs2 says each person is different and it's if you like them that counts.

I really haven't heard anything in the up to £2000 price bracket that equals them although I have to admit that there are a lot if speakers in that price bracket that I haven't heard!

Cheers
    John

6. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi sticker, thanks for your reply. Any reason you did not use the FB1 for your surround system as well?

I think the OB1s have a sweeter balance than the TB1/FB1/DB1, because of the soft dome tweeter instead of a metal one.

7. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the TB2's for front and centre and will soon have the DB1 for rears. I agree that they are slighlty slower in the bass than some other speakers but I love my bass and wouldn't substitute it for something more accurate but less bassy. Saying that though I don't think they are boomy at all I think they are excellent and great value for money, I didn't listen to the FB1 but cnsidering how low then can go I'd say there were a damn sight bassier than my little babies. Even my friend who isn't into lots of bass absolutley love them, if he had the money he'd get some now he's really envious. :D

I listen to lots of dance music but also like indie and rock. I can't reccomend them enough considering the price, just my opinion though and I do own some so I would say that!

8. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Garmtz,
    The reason I don't use the FB1's in my HC setup is that, foolishly I went to audition the Kef Ref 203's and was absolutely blown away by the clarity of them in a HC setup. I found that whilst the FB1's are brilliant they don't convey the sutle nuaces that the ref's do. What I have found lacking in a lot of speakers is that for HC setups most are great at the more dynamic parts of a sound track, but miss out on the more sutle parts. I can hear things with the Refs taht I can't with the FB1's. What I would say about the FB1's is that for dance type music they are not that far behind the Ref's but once you start to listen to classical music, the Refs are in a league of their own.

What I probably should have done was used the FB1's in my HC setup and saved myself x thousand pounds :)

Regards
    John