1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PMC Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Maurice, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Maurice

Maurice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am still in the investigation stage of buying a music/ HT system. :rolleyes:

I have read various reviews but have not listened to anything yet.

I am leaning towards an Arcam AVR300, Arcam DV79 and PMC 5.1 speakers, which would be: FB1 fronts, TB2 centre and rears and (if the budget will go that far) TLE1 sub.

Any comments ? What other speakers should I demo ?
    Should I use FB1's for the rears as well ?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Nice speakers that should be demo'd along with the usual suspects from the world of music reproduction.

There is no need to buy a subwoofer from the same manufacturer as it doesn't need to match in any way except aesthetically and I am not sure that I would pay that sort of money for the TLE1 sub with everything else on offer either from SVS or B&W at around that price.

3. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FB1's are great speakers and so are the TB2's not so sure about the TB2 as a centre though. IIRC PMC have a new dedicated centre out.

Regards
    John

4. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Look at my list below, I had a demo of this setup a while ago, and had to have it.

I will be using a Rel Stampede with it instead of the PMC sub. They sounded so good in a room a little bigger than what they are going to be used in.

Fish

5. Maurice

Maurice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the responses. :smashin:

Sticker, have you any info on the PMC dedicated centre ? I couldn't see anything on their website.

One further question. If the cost of a rear speaker (TB2) plus a stand is roughly the same as a floorstander (FB1) is it better to go for the TB2 + stand or the FB1 for the rears ?

6. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The dedicated center is on the web site it's called the CB6 I think, it's basically on OB1, so I would expect it to be the other side of a 1000 quid (you may want to check though).

I'm off for a demo at the weekend of GB1, FB1, OB1 and a few other speakers (proac and audiovector + whatever else my dealer has to listen too (could be a long afternoon)), so if your still interested I'll let you know what I thought.

I've listened to the GB1 before and thought it was awsome, and at a different time the FB1 and wasn't too impressed (harsh treble) but the new FB1's have the soft dome tweeter off the OB1 so I'm going to give them another try.

Note there's a load of Ex-Demo FB1's around at the moment which I was looking at but they will all be the older metal tweeter.

7. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    While we're on it I went with a mate the other week and compared a AVR300 to a Rotel 1068 + 1075 power amp. The AVR300 was quite impressive, he eventually went for the Rotel but it was very close (and the AVR300 was a bit cheaper).

I think the main reason he went for the Rotel was because it would allow him to upgrade his processor without chucking out the power amp, and the Rotel slightly had the advantage with films. The Rotel was a bit more dynamic, in fact I had to check that the AVR didn't have compression turned on after listening to the Rotel.

Anyway may be worth considering the Rotel for a demo.

Slingshot

8. a3rmk

a3rmk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had the FB1's as mains and a TB2 as the centre for a while.
    If the TB2's would be big enough to use as mains i would go for these all round as the sound would be more even.
    Personally i found the FB1's to overpower the centre but in stereo use they were superb, this would also free up more funds toward a better amp!

9. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Well I've had my demo consisting of GB1, FB1, OB1 and some audivector somethings. I also had a previous demo of Dynaudio contours.

The GB1's were first up and very impressive, amazing bass for the size of speaker, PMC claim about down to 27Hz (better than sub subs), and I believe them. The GB1's were very relaxed and I would recommend anyone with upto 1000 quid to have a listen.

Next FB1's even with the soft dome tweeter they were a lot harsher than the GB1's (no idea why when they use the same tweeter !), but the separation between instruments was a lot better, along with the bass control which seemed better. To be honest I would buy GB1's once I'd listened to the FB1's.

I didn't like the Audivector's, guitar and bass seemed to blur into 1 indestinct instrument, the imaging wasn't really to my liking, the only plus point was the top end and vocals were significantly more relaxed.

Next up OB1's, I was talked into listening to by my girlfriend and mate who were with me in the demo. What can I say other than I've got the demo pair at home listening to now, they really blew me away (and the other 2 away). Seriously if you can't afford 2.5K for speakers don't be tempted to listen to them. We were listening to No Doubt and we could make out the words that we didn't know before. The bass is spot on (OK a bit boomy in my room, maybe bass traps next), all I have to do now is try to find the required money, the only other concern is where will it stop, I'm sure these speakers are so out classing my electronics that I'll probably feel the need to upgrade everything else.

Anyway hope that helps if your considering PMC's. Honestly this side of Wilson Benesch these are the best speakers I've ever heard.

Slingshot.

10. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the DV79 is up to the task of working with the OB1's, but having not listened to the AVR300, I cannot comment.

Happy to see others using the PMC's. ;)

Fish

11. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I love the GB1's.......absolutly brilliant speakers.
    Would of liked the OB1's but could not go that far.
    It's strange how you found them relaxed, as i went from M&K s85's which are quite bright, in your face speakers, with the high's (treble) that i like,to the GB1's, just because they sounded like the s85 but with a lot more bass.
    I can deff agree that these go low....infact, in my room anything less than 25hz just dissapears, so i get the same response from my GB1's as i do with my SVS 20-39 for bass, which is what i was looking for in my stereo setup.
    i also brought the new TB center speaker, which is a nice little speaker and also goes down to 50hz......looks nice on top of my 51" RPTV and sounds as good as the GB1's but with a bit less bass.........not that it matters, as anything below 60hz in surround sound goes to the sub.
    I have the perfect setup now and dont intend to change anything for at least the next 6 years................... i hope.... :zonked: .

i'd just like to say that i let my s85's go last week and a tear came to my eye when they went........absolutly.....bloody......BRILLIANT speakers.
    If you are going out demoing and you find a dealer that does M&K then deff give them a demo, or if you decide not to buy new at the moment, then s85's are the best second hand speaker buy EVER.

cheers.....chris.

12. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Sorry........i got the center speaker wrong......
    The matching center speaker for the GB1's according to PMC is the DB1M+, which is the one i brought......its the DB1 but has the soft dome tweeter, to match the GB1.

13. Maurice

Maurice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slingshot, thanks for the info. 2.5k :eek:

14. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    In know 2.5K is a lot of dosh (just keep telling myself it would be a years depreciation if I bought a new car !), I'm hoping if I buy the OB1's they last me a considerable number of years.

Chris my current speakers are 7 year old Rega Jura's which I've always thought were a bit harsh and sibilant at the top end, so that's maybe why I thought the GB1's were relaxing to listen to.

There's no way I'm buying the CB6 centre (it's a bit of a monster anyway), so I thought I'd try and pick up a DB1 or TB2 ex-dem, and maybe find some ex-dem DB1's fo rears. The main point of hanging speakers is to improve stereo performance, and maybe eventually have a 2 channel setup only.

15. Maurice

Maurice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slingshot,

The OB1 Spec says that "the recommended Amp power" is "up to 300 Watts"

The Arcam AVR300 receiver is rated at 100 Watts per channel. Does this mean that the receiver and these speakers are incompatible ? Can the receiver be damaged by the speakers ?

16. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Nah 100 watts should be fine, unless you have a massive room or want extreme volumes.

Yes the amp can be damaged by speakers and visaversa. Usually if you have insufficient power in the amp, and end up turning it up too loud. The OB1's are fairly inefficient around 87db/w/metrre i think, however they are a nominal 6 ohm load so a half decent amp should be able to drive them without too much issue.

The amp I'll be using is a mere 100 watts, although this should raise to about 130 for a 6 ohm load.

17. Maurice

Maurice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. :)

18. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +899
    Well,
    after reading all this good stuff about the GB1s and being in the market for a new front pair I auditioned them today, along with a DB1M centre... astounding is the word I think!

Sat through a goodly chunk of LOTR and I was impressed at the sheer crispness and clarity. The demo was run without a sub connected, and these little rascals go LOW.

Then onto a bit of music - Zero7 and Turin Brakes...again, excellent.

Had to have them obviously....

19. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Welcome to club PMC, You'll have great fun with the GB1's, I still love my OB1's (should do for the price though).

I got some DB1+ for rears but I've been trying them as mains too, they're neat little speakers.

20. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have some DB1's, but am wondering if it is worth upgrading to the DB1+.

Fish

21. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I assume you are talking about upgrading your existing cabinets ? Quite impressed when I saw that PMC offered an upgrade pack about 130 quid for DB1's to DB1+ I think.

Anyway I've only heard the + models, however I've heard both + and metal tweeter versions of the FB1 but not back too back. I originally liked the FB1's but thought they were just a tad harsh, the FB1+ seems to have calmed this down so I guess if you think your DB1's are a bit harsh then it may be worth it.

Did that help at all

22. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can I join the club?

PS
    For those wanting something between the TB2 centre and CB6 centre, there is always the LB1 centre to consider.

PPS
    For added wallop there's some reasonable power amps on ebay at the moment; e.g. Meridian 557, Classe CA300. I've been told the best bet is Bryston, but alas used (affordable) Bryston electronics are as rare as hens teeth.

PPPS
    Win a pair of OB1's - September issue of HI-Fi News.

23. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Your membership card is on it's way !

You using your Denon as a preamp ? I'm currently powering my OB1's with Arcam P90, which seems upto the job, but I wouldn't object to something a little more beefy !

24. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yep, the Denon is the pre. for the front two channels; the driving force being the 559.

Though their sensitivity is such that even the 3803, driving them direct, would give a reasonable response (not sure about quality since I’ve never tried it) they really do benefit from something that has plenty of reserves to draw upon, hence the suggestions for power amps.

25. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A little off topic, but for those with a feel for the history of audio (and particular Transmission Line loudspeakers) I have just come across these on ebay.

For a little more on the history of Transmission Line, here are a couple of posts taken from another thread . . .

TDL were actually born out of IMF Electronics and originally manufactured Transmission Line loudspeakers, some of which were huge.

If anyone's interested, check out the links below.

http://imf-electronics.com/history/index.html

http://imf-electronics.com/

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/classics/TDL.html

http://www.british-audio.org.uk/press_releases/99_06_john_wright.html

http://digilander.libero.it/piani/tdl_electronics.htm

http://digilander.libero.it/piani/cataloghi_tdl/generale-2.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who may, perhaps, have had their appetite for Transmission Line loudspeakers whetted, a couple more links . . .

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/linx/linx.html

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/

For commercial manufacturers check out PMC, Meadowlark and this company, who I'm led to believe, will carry out servicing and repairs of IMF/TDL loudspeakers.

26. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +899
    They had a pair of OB1s in the shop where I bought the GB1s...they're monsters!

Just waiting to hear about delivery now, can't wait!
    Went for the oak finish by the way - I originally planned to get maple, but I got an excellent deal on the oak ones being used for the demo.

27. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi All,
    I'm new to this forum and just glad to know that there are others out there who love PMC!
    Seems we've all been down the same route. I went to listen to a set of FB1's and Monitor Audio GR 20's and walked out with a pair of OB1's (My wife still hasn't forgiven me....) Anyway, as you all love these speakers, what is everyone using as speaker cable? And what length runs? Is anyone Tri Amping?
    I'd like to hear anyones opinions/experiences.
    Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place.

28. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Currently using 2 runs of Chord something (about 10 quid a meter), the only reason for this is I used to biamp so I have 2 runs of cable. To be honest don't think bi-wiring makes any difference.

I'm a convertee to mains cables and interconnects, but never found much difference with speaker cables.

29. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Came across someone selling a pair of OB1s on ebay. In the blurb he claimed they were only a couple of months old, but had to get rid of them as the wife didn't like their size; too big. Personally I look at it the other way, I don't see the OB1s as being huge (even my wife thinks they're not overly large), I see the GB1s as being elegantly diminutive.

I have advised those considering PMC not to audition the OB1s if they've not got the wherewithal to purchase a pair. Sounds a little elitist, but I rather think it’s better not to know what you're missing than to go away frustrated and disappointed.

Triamping would be an interesting proposition, but for me (taking into consideration the wife) that would be a bridge too far. I am, however, tri-wiring (a cheaper alternative), but it's something of a contentious issue, dealt with in more detail in the cables forum.

By the way I did make enquires as to the benefits of the bolt on Bryston modules versus a separate power amp. Obviously sonic reproduction depends on the power amp being used, but generally the consensus was to go the separate way; if one ever did decide to sell the speakers one at least still has a power amp.

30. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am using 4 wire Liberty cable for my PMC's, which with the next step up being the Chord stuff, I shall have to wait until I get a good lottery result. ;)

I am bi-amping my centre channel, but normal wiring on the rest.

Fish