PMC Owners Thread - Part 4

Slightly out of date question. Does anyone know if there are different versions of the db1 gold? The version I have has the twenty21 woofer. I'm now paranoid it doesn't really match the other 5 db1+ I have. The product images generally don't have this woofer. But maybe that is what this is, the old+tweeter and the new, at the time, 21 woofer. I thought it was just the + tweaked slightly, not a different driver. Are there any scientific tests to show performance?

Anyone who can comment on PB1i ... in a garage ! My Tri amped OB1's have been run out of the house by the other half but I pine the PMC sound again (OB1's sold) and am looking at PB1i's. My gut feeling is that a garage (insulated a lot) with speakers only 2m apart and me sitting 4m back may be too small for PB1i's. Any comment ?

Speakers would be run from Arcam FMJ A32 with 2 x P35 power amps.

I still cant believe a basic mistake like that caught me out,especially when I'm always telling my students to "start with the basics",check the simple things first before you start dismantling equipment and replacing expensive components but there you go we all make mistakes!

Thankfully the system is now sounding like I expected,managed to get a good hours listen at lunch time,so pretty pleased with where we are now.

Bryston is still in place as are the new speaker cables,have managed to temporarily secured the phase switch in the correct position and from the sound of things I do not think any damage has been done to the system.Had a quick look on the PMC website and the repair centre is closed which I fully expected but it seems they will fully service the amp for £99 which seems reasonable to me and guessing if they find any issues the warranty will cover that,so we should be okay there.

I will put the Audiolab in just to see how it performs while I have the opportunity.Then hope to get to fine tuning the system and enjoying some music again

I would still like to upgrade my sources,maybe add a dedicated streamer,to avoid having to use the laptop not that its a major issue, I'm thinking more from a sound improvement point.From the research I have carry out seems reasonable gains can be had there, depends on the costs involved or I may purchase a new cd player and get back into buying some Cd's,I'm not sure yet.I love the selection and ease of use of using Tidal as a source so may opt for a streamer initially.

Any idea on streamers? I was thinking something along the lines of a Bluesound Node2i or push the boat out if its worth it,maybe the new Naim ND5 XS2,not sure yet just long term planning still got lots to do and try at the moment just planning ahead really.

Hope everyone is well and thanks again for your help and support .
The Node 2i is a great little streamer. The user interface in the app is the best i've used. I've not compared anything better though so can't be sure!

Did you get an opportunity to put the original speaker cable back into the mix too - I'm interested to see what the difference was.

Anyone who can comment on PB1i ... in a garage ! My Tri amped OB1's have been run out of the house by the other half but I pine the PMC sound again (OB1's sold) and am looking at PB1i's. My gut feeling is that a garage (insulated a lot) with speakers only 2m apart and me sitting 4m back may be too small for PB1i's. Any comment ?

Speakers would be run from Arcam FMJ A32 with 2 x P35 power amps.

No it will work, I had that distance with my IB2i's before I moved :)
Sounded great.....
Still in love with those speakers, my wife is complaining on the size though .....

The Node 2i is a great little streamer. The user interface in the app is the best i've used. I've not compared anything better though so can't be sure!

Did you get an opportunity to put the original speaker cable back into the mix too - I'm interested to see what the difference was.
Sorry for the delayed response,to be honest I was so pleased I had found the problem I didn't really get round to comparing the two different types of speaker cables.I will do at some point.
I know my source is my main issue so really need to address that first, think getting the core right first then you can fine tune with the ancillaries after.
Have looked a various options, Node 2i,then I like the look of the Innuos Zen mimi mk111 has the added advantage of CD ripping and onboard storage which might be good to have plus a separate upgraded power supply ,also like the look of the Auralic Aitair Gi, too many options and I would like to hear them first.
Hopefully a few things to look forward too, but at the moment I just want everyone to come out of this nightmare safe and sound.

Hi,

I'm looking for two Speaker Post jumpers for a PMC i series speaker. Anyone have two that I could buy?

regards
Ron

Attachments

• IMG_2593.jpeg
    IMG_2593.jpeg
    254.2 KB · Views: 58
Most people here probably don´t care about how speakers measure, but for those that does put some weight on them here is PMC Twenty.21 measured today with "robot" Klippel NFS scanner (100k$).

I saw the review, I think its the older Twenty 21 speakers, so the Twenty5 and the 'i's have come since. The review is not complimentary, and that is an understatement. I have read (can't remember where) that there were quite a few changes between the Twenty 21 and the Twenty5 21 range, it would be interesting to see the differences.

Currently have Twenty5 21s and Twenty5 centre as my front 3 in a 5.1.2 setup. Moving house soon which means I have to have a phantom centre channel, as in the new house I cant fit a centre speaker above the fireplace.

To compensate for the loss of a centre speaker, I am going to swap the Twenty5 21s for larger floor standers. My short list is as follows

1) Twenty5 24
2) Monitor Audio Gold 300
3) Kef R11

Reciever is Arcam AVR550 + Musical Fidelity HT600 power amp. New living room dimensions 6 x 6m.

Just wondered if anyone knows how the MAs and Kefs compare to the PMCs or if anyone recommends any other speakers.

Budget is around £4k

Thanks.

Price on the new speakers is going up 15-20% next week due to Covid increasing costs of supply so I've been told.

Listened to the new 24's and they delivered a great soundstage but were bordering on being too bright albeit not fully run in yet.

Price on the new speakers is going up 15-20% next week due to Covid increasing costs of supply so I've been told.

Listened to the new 24's and they delivered a great soundstage but were bordering on being too bright albeit not fully run in yet.
I've had the new 24is at home. They needed at least 100hrs to start to relax....
Hope the price increase isn't true. That's a lot of money for a 2 way.... Going to price themselves out of market. Bordering on that already.... Is that on good authority, this price increase?

I've had the new 24is at home. They needed at least 100hrs to start to relax....
Hope the price increase isn't true. That's a lot of money for a 2 way.... Going to price themselves out of market. Bordering on that already.... Is that on good authority, this price increase?
It came from my dealer - I ordered mine on Tuesday. He said some of their costs had risen by 3x. My speakers aren't due for delivery until mid Sept...

Just a quick question my mate has a pair of twenty5 24s could he use a twenty c for the centre of does he really needs the twenty5 c.. He has a chance of a good deal on a 20c

Twenty c as twenty 5 c are basically the same but neither is really good to match with the twenty5 24 as they have smaller 21 or 23 size drivers. I have no idea why there isn't a large driver centre. Ideally the centre should be bigger not smaller as it's the most important speaker. I guess having two compensates a bit, but try to get a tb2+ centre myself. Ideal FCR should be equal at least.

Thank you on another note he has just picked up his av amp to pair with his 2ch amp. For some reason he spoke to the shop about subs and they sold him 2x rel t zero and told him to only connect hi level but into the back of the speaker not the 2ch amp. Surely this cant be right and surely these subs are not upto the job has anyone done this?

Anyone want to comment on the Twenty5 C vs CB6

Most people here probably don´t care about how speakers measure, but for those that does put some weight on them here is PMC Twenty.21 measured today with "robot" Klippel NFS scanner (100k$).

That site seems to have a sort of God-like status to some people.
Makes me glad I listen to my 'failure of design' 21s rather than take too much notice of his pretty pictures.

Hi I am thinking of getting some used DB1s to use in a 7.1 system (upgrading from KEF eggs) - but bit worried about lack of availability of a compatible centre.

Any advice of which models might suit - or is it only the DB1 centre?

May stretch to used TwentyOne fronts and centre - but that would mean stretching my budget...

Thanks vm

What is your budget? I may have a CB6 in Maple (very similar to oak) for sale soon.

The DB1 Centre is a good speaker - I had two of them as 7.1 rears for a while.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom