PMC Owners Thread - Part 4

Does anyone know who designs the DSP parts in the digital speakers like the new twotwos or the IB2 SA professional models ? Is it totally in house or from Bryston ?

Togil said:
Does anyone know who designs the DSP parts in the digital speakers like the new twotwos or the IB2 SA professional models ? Is it totally in house or from Bryston ?

In the info on PMC's website it says 'All designed and built in Britain'. They use Hypex amps instead of Bryson.
Digidesign's RM1 and RM2 were PMC's first DSP monitor build as far as I know.

It was good to meet up with some of you guys at Viper's place on Saturday. Great to meet Pete Thomas and listen to his remarkable depth of knowledge in speaker design and the music/hifi industry.

The MB2SE's were beautiful and when given all they wanted from the 28B's sounded stunning.

I have to say, and yes I know Lowe has been telling us, but the mid-range on the tiny twotwo.5's was stunning! Very impressed.

Cheers

It was good to meet up with some of you guys at Viper's place on Saturday. Great to meet Pete Thomas and listen to his remarkable depth of knowledge in speaker design and the music/hifi industry.

The MB2SE's were beautiful and when given all they wanted from the 28B's sounded stunning.

I have to say, and yes I know Lowe has been telling us, but the mid-range on the tiny twotwo.5's was stunning! Very impressed.

Cheers

How is the bass performance of the TwoTwo5, compared to other PMC's?

Finally picking up my PMC's tomorrow from the HMC Edinburgh.

Twenty.23 in walnut.
Twenty.21 in walnut.
Twenty.c in Diamond black.

Excited!

How is the bass performance of the TwoTwo5, compared to other PMC's?

Very tight and good extension considering the size of the drivers, I guess being active that must help, especially with the control.

I was very taken with them, as were, most who heard them.

Cheers

Finally picking up my PMC's tomorrow from the HMC Edinburgh.

Twenty.23 in walnut.
Twenty.21 in walnut.
Twenty.c in Diamond black.

Excited!

Brilliant news, we will of course need pictures :smashin:

Cheers

alpha10 said:
Very tight and good extension considering the size of the drivers, I guess being active that must help, especially with the control.

I was very taken with them, as were, most who heard them.

Cheers

Thanks. Are they about the size of a DB1?

Tiny bit taller than a DB1. About 4-5mm.

The twotwo.5's are great for their size, but the twotwo.6 is the sweet spot. They've got the bass weight that the 5's lack. If you like the 5's, wait till you hear the 6's. ;)

In the news about the Munich show they're called Fact.12 btw

Lowe said:
Tiny bit taller than a DB1. About 4-5mm.

The twotwo.5's are great for their size, but the twotwo.6 is the sweet spot. They've got the bass weight that the 5's lack. If you like the 5's, wait till you hear the 6's. ;)

I have a pair of Digidesign RM2's(pmc made) which are sort of like active TB2's with Hypex amps and dsp. I'm eager to hear how mine sound compared to the twotwo's, and especially interested in the twotwo8's.

MattSPL said:
Thanks. Are they about the size of a DB1?

As Lowe said, similar size, I would add they are quite deep.

Cheers

Togil said:

It had to come out Pete Thomas was talking about it on Saturday at Vipers. Well I asked :)

Cheers

Pugs1 - The i-series models were ceased because PMS felt they had gone as far as they could with the cabinet design. Remember the FBs started off in about 1999/2000. You may remember the originals were altered to a "+" iteration, and a kit was sold to upgrade the relevant parts of the originals. Upgrading was not possible with the i-series, as PMC had made changes to the inside of the cabinet etc, so this was not an option.

I guess they also needed a new range for their 20th anniversary. What they have done with the 20s is to use some of the learning they derived from designing the FACT range as well as other models higher up the range. Some of these factors (no don't ask, I have no idea what) have been put into the 20s. I think the sloping cabinet design is something to do with timing from the drivers. The only parts retained from the i-series are the bolts that hold the mid/bass driver. I think I heard it said that the reason PMC give such a good guarantee on the product is they have virtually none returned due to manufacturing defects. What speakers they see returned for attention have generally had poor treatment/abuse/accident.

Matt - my stupid HTC phone will not upload the few photos I took - very sorry. Although I can access them on the phone, they are not shown when using it as a storage device with the PC.

alpha10 said:
As Lowe said, similar size, I would add they are quite deep.

Cheers

Ok thanks. My RM2's are nearly as deep as they are tall. I think about the size of the twotwo6.

Cheers
Matt

@Steve stifler

No worries about the pics.

Cheers
Matt

MattSPL said:
Ok thanks. My RM2's are nearly as deep as they are tall. I think about the size of the twotwo6.

Cheers
Matt

I forgot to add, the light up PMC badge on the twotwo's is very cool. I think it was Tom who said they change colour as the speakers start to clip...

Cheers

I am interested with PMC PB1i Signature, what is the matching center and surrounds for 5.1 system?

Sorry for the noob question.

Thanks a lot.

Jhameeh

Yes the logo turns red. Seen that a few times ;)

Matching centre for PB1i is the CB6i. Surrounds - well depends how much room and funding you have. All of the iSeries use the same HF driver so will have a good tonal consistency so you can pick and choose without having to worry too much.

Cheers

Great to see again you yesterday alpha, and a massive thanks to everyone that braved the rubbish weather and made the whole day such a fun day and such a great success, roll on the 2nd owners club meet-up :thumbsup:

I've posted some pictures and a write up in my advertisers forum for anyone who would like a look -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/adve...s-pmc-bryston-naim-rega-amongst-others-4.html

Here's a couple of pictures and a snippet from the write up -

For me the star of the show, other than Wendy who seemed to be making tea and coffee constantly all day, was the amazing MB2 SE's, I spent all day from 7.00 am to 9.00 pm listening to them and not once did they get over powering or fatiguing, all day they played all variety's of music in such an effortless and engrossing way, but when pushed a little harder with one customers cd with some ridiculous bass, they just stepped up to the challenge and performed, I have really never heard anything like it, thank god for the skeletal structure around the bass cone for keeping them in control, those bass cones really were doing their best to escape :) The only down side being that I think the building was struggling to cope, I have just come back from tidying up from yesterday and have found large chunks of plaster on the floor from the ceiling in the office, perhaps I'd better get a structural engineer in during the week to check it out :) If anyone couldn't get along yesterday it looks like I may have the MB2 SE's and 28's for a little while longer so if you'd like to experience something a little special please feel free to pop in.

Although I spent all day in the upstairs room with the MB's and 28's, it's a though life, the only drawback being that I didn't get a chance to hear the new twotwo.5's, at the end of the day I came down to listen to them but Tom had packed them up but from everyone's comments who did listen to them they have said that they are quite an amazing speaker, especially considering their size, the only time I heard them was when I was in the upstairs room and they were trying to drown out the MB's, which was quite a shocker, to be honest everyone was convinced that there must have been a sub on with the twotwo's but there wasn't, honest. I have ordered a pair of twotwo.6's for demo so it will be great to have the time to sit down and listen to them properly.

PMC twenty.23's and the twotwo.5's
DSCF0681_zpsc231f158.jpg

Peter deep in conversation
DSCF0686_zpsa029bdd5.jpg

I heard 'Awesome' Used quite a few times :)
DSCF0690_zps284d7447.jpg

Tom starting the PMC Dance School :)
DSCF0684_zpse7cd566a.jpg

Everyone really seemed to be enjoying the MB2 SE's
DSCF0698-1_zps77b01ec1.jpg

Peter sharing more of his wisdom
DSCF0696_zpsdbd9b3e3.jpg

Thanks again everyone :smashin:

Good to hear that this news is out in the open now, I've been biting at the bit to tell everyone, especially after getting more excited at the prospect of hearing them shortly after speaking to Peter yesterday.

PMC are really quite excited about the FACT.12 as it is going to be something quite spectacular, especially considering that it isn't going to be much bigger than the Fact.8 but it will have a dedicated mid range and dedicated bass drivers that apparently are quite an amazing development.

I didn't hear this from Peter directly but apparently PMC have been trying to get the performance of the IB2i but in a fact form factor, now that is something to get very excited about :)

Hopefully in production by the summer, I feel another event coming on :)

Looks like a great day :D

@Vipers - Will you be getting your own MB2SE's once those leave the building?

Those Fact 12's sound very interesting too :)

Vipers @ HiFi Lounge said:
Good to hear that this news is out in the open now, I've been biting at the bit to tell everyone, especially after getting more excited at the prospect of hearing them shortly after speaking to Peter yesterday.

PMC are really quite excited about the FACT.12 as it is going to be something quite spectacular, especially considering that it isn't going to be much bigger than the Fact.8 but it will have a dedicated mid range and dedicated bass drivers that apparently are quite an amazing development.

I didn't hear this from Peter directly but apparently PMC have been trying to get the performance of the IB2i but in a fact form factor, now that is something to get very excited about :)

Hopefully in production by the summer, I feel another event coming on :)

Do we know a price yet for the FACT12's? I take it they will be in the same ballpark as the IB2's then...

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom