Pmc Ob1

gazza73

Well after much deliberation, foum/magazine reading and dealer listening I finally bought myself a pair of PMC OB1's.

WOW! is all I can say.

I was after a big improvement over my Linn Keilidhs and these things deliver. My initial thoughts were a little disapointing because I felt they didn't give me much of an improvement over the Keilidhs especially in the bass/mid department. It was all a little muddy just as the Keilidhs but with a sweeter treble, which overall was not a great balance. I was starting to look a cable combinations that I could buy to alter the sound. All I could think was I had spent all this money just to improve the treble.........

However after a little searching around on here it seems PMC speakers need one hell of a lot of running in. So after only about 12 hours of listening they have changed dramaticaly. What a difference. All this rubbish about needing megga power to drive PMC's is total tosh. Yes I am sure they would sound better with move current on tap but my trusty Exposure XX with 250VA and 35Watts makes them sing beautifully.

The Keilidhs couldn't get close to the emotion wanting to burst out of the recording. Its the first time I have listened to familiar music and noticed the difference between how instruments are played to convey emotion. The style of bowing, plucking, struming or blowing through instruments to make you feel your there with them. Vocals that are focused and real with a sense of air around them and bass that is so well controlled and defined in its proper place in the mix that shoots through your chest and envelops you.

Just listened to "Out to get you" by James track 1 on Laid and I felt I had just encountered a religious experience. My jaw was on the floor with amazement. So if PMC's get better over several months who knows were I'll be in 6 months.

This is what Hi-Fi is all about, the music......... Heaven.

So if you in the market for a speaker in this price range I can't recommend the OB1 enough.:thumbsup:

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
I agree, they are a fantastic speaker and the rest of the models in the PMC range are not disappointing either.

ttree sound

Congrats to you on your purchase, :thumbsup: they will get even better. :D

Mine seemed to further improve after over 200 hours use.

A change of interconnect also brought improvements.

Enjoy them.

slingshot

Yep still love mine after a couple of years, can't see me swapping them in the next 10 or 20 years (well unless the EB1's get cheaper !!).

I did find they were difficult to drive, and my old Arcam 90WPC power amp really struggled, even to the point of cutting out a couple of times. But that was neighbours out volume level.

Enjoy

Slingshot

gazza73

Thought I'd post a quick pic of my system with the OB1's in place.

A new Hi-Fi unit is needed next with some longer runs of cable. Don't know how long I can get away with leaving my old black target stand infront of her new fire place for before she throws a wobbly.

Attachments

• OB1's.jpg
    OB1's.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,284

slingshot

Thought I'd post a quick pic of my system with the OB1's in place.

A new Hi-Fi unit is needed next with some longer runs of cable. Don't know how long I can get away with leaving my old black target stand infront of her new fire place for before she throws a wobbly.

Looks good, I'm guessing you don't let her light the fire often? You seem to have a lot of toe-in on the positioning, I found mine worked better almost firing direct down the room, maybe worth trying if you haven't played around with the positioning much yet.

Slingshot

Knightshade

Can't see for sure but I don't any spikes? If you haven't put them on you should. Also agree with the 'v/little' toe in.

gazza73

Can't see for sure but I don't any spikes? If you haven't put them on you should. Also agree with the 'v/little' toe in.
Yep your right no spikes as yet. I'm still playing around with positioning before I fit them as they are so much easier to move without. I will have a go with less toe in and see the difference. I've been moving them and then listening for a couple of days to get used to the sound then move again to notice improvements. At the moment they don't seem too happy close to a rear wall wich surprised me. Mine are just of shy of 2ft from the rear wall with as you noticed a fair bit of toe in.

Knightshade

Yep your right no spikes as yet. I'm still playing around with positioning before I fit them as they are so much easier to move without.
That is soooo true. I found 2' 5" to be optimal for me.

ttree sound

I found that the bass seemed a tad boomy when they were new but after many hours use it tightened up no end and is now downright solid without ever moving them from their original position of about 18 inches from back wall to driver face.

So a bit of patience is required until they sound their best.

the_third_man

I also had a pair of these outstanding 'speakers.

Also agree with running-in time; be prepared to wait. I think it took mine easily 100 hours! Of course, the louder you run them, the less time it takes. (How well do you get on with your neighbours?!) When they're there, though, everything gels beatifully.

Beware of proximity of side-walls, as these too affect the sound (just as with rear wall), making them (or any 'speaker) boomy.

Remove the grilles, if possible.

Tri-Amp them, if possible. I had three AUDIOLAB 8000PX stereo power amps connected and this set-up just blew anything less away.

Use the best 'speaker cable you can afford, it's worth the expense.

Enjoy!

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
Do you use the speaker cable as a water main when not providing music!!!?

gazza73

I found that the bass seemed a tad boomy when they were new but after many hours use it tightened up no end and is now downright solid without ever moving them from their original position of about 18 inches from back wall to driver face.

So a bit of patience is required until they sound their best.

I am finding this on the occasional recording. 99% of the time the bass is very detailed and snappy but on the very odd occasion when the bass gets very low (massive attack low) it can get a little loose. Good to hear its just a running trait. I have noticed the biggest change in the mids as they run in. A little muddy when I first had them out of the box but it gets better by the day. It gels beautifully and is very neutral. Projection of vocals and the height, width and depth of the soundstage is amazing.

vishnu

Hi,

Just another vote of priase for the pmc range i have ob1's and a cb6.

Initally a little bit dissapointed out of the box due to the midrange vocal...but after running in a totally differnt story they really come to life.

I have had mine for for about 8 months now and could not be happier with them or would i consider chaning to anything else one of the best hi-fi upgrades i have made.

Richard

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom