1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PMC IB1 Opinions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jethro, Jul 5, 2003.

1. jethro

jethro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an opportunity to purchase a used pair of PMC IB1's at a good price, especially considering their huge price increases this year. I am unable to audition these speakers. They have tweaked my interest because I have all Bryston gear which is supposed to be a good match. Bryston distributes PMC in Canada.

I am looking for a full-range speaker primarily for 2-channel music, and secondarily for HT. I imagine their are more PMC owners on your side of the pond. I was wondering if someone could give me their opinion as to whether the IB1 is really a full-range speaker. I would also appreciate any comparisons against other brands. I have listened to JMLabs Electra and Cobalt, Harbeth 40's, B&W 803 and down. I currently own B&W 604S2's. They are nice speakers but they don't go low enough for my tastes. I have a sub, but it doesn't match well.
    Any help would be appreciated. This opportunity arose out of the blue and is only open for a short time period. The price of PMC speakers has increased in Canada by 30% last year, so this is a good opportunity.

Thank you.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I hope that one or two people may have heard the speakers and respond but PMC are renowned mainly for their Hifi speakers and this is primarily a home theatre forum so don't be surprised if the response is poor (especially at the weekend)

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    jethro.....I don't know what others will say,but like most transmission lines,I've always found PMC's products to produce generous amounts of bass,but somewhat delayed or slow by comparison with either reflex or sealed designs.
    As to whether or not the IB1 is a truly full range speaker,again in my opinion,no,but it does go quite deep for it's size.
    If you wanted proper full range speakers,you'd be looking at a flat response to 20Hz,and that costs.
    Since you live in Canada,you should also check out Totem Acoustics,and I'd be very wary of buying a pair of speakers without a listen first....if you have to though,try looking at www.audioreview.com for any other user reviews.

4. jethro

jethro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I broke the cardinal rule and bought the IB1s without listening first. I have them sitting on the floor since I have no stands yet. Even with them sitting on the floor I can tell that they have a superb top-end. I agree that they are not full-range. However, I think that I will not need a sub-woofer for two-channel music. I haven't heard a lot of different speakers compared to some people, however these are the best that I have heard so far. I was really pleasantly surprised by the mids and highs. Most PMC reviews deal with the bass response, so I was surprised at the quality of the mids and highs. I can't wait to get some stands, so I can really let them sing.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Glad you're pleased with the results....buying simply on the feedback of others is often difficult,but your comments about them are good to hear also....I certainly didnt have any real complaints about the mid/treble,but my comments re bass I would still stand by.....it's all very much down to the individual,as I have a few friends who think transmission lines are wonderful!