• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PMC i-Series

Wameser

Standard Member
Hi there

My understanding is that this is not possible. If you look in the speakers section there is a thread on the new i upgrades and a better explanantion is given there.

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
It is not possible at all. However the new i-Series are well worth listening to. I changed my OB1s for OB1is and I couldn't be happier. The i-series are substantially better, much, much more than I ever expected.

I just wish they would hurry up and finish designing my new CB6i. :clap:

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
Now that the new PMC i-Series has launched and should be available for demonstration in dealers within the next week or two I thought you might like some more info and pictures to whet your appetite.

Firstly here is a link to the temporary i-Series webpage which covers the basics. They will be a more detailed section with proper links from the PMC homepage in due course.

PMC i-Series Webpage

They will also be exhibiting at the Bristol Sound & Vision Show this year. More info on the show can be found here:

PMC i-Series at Bristol Sound & Vision Show 2008

Furthermore, I know that loads of you would love to see some more pictures of these beauties. You need wait no more. Below is a link to my gallery of images of the new i-Series for you to drool over. The image below is just a small taster of he images in my gallery.

237619874-XL.jpg

Crustyloafer's PMC i-Series Image Gallery

And finally for those more interested in the technical side of things, here is a data sheet outlining the changes and improvements that have been made with this fabulous new range of speakers.

PMC i-Series Data Sheet

I hope you all enjoy reading about this awesome range of speakers and hope fully you will get the opportunity to listen to them very soon at the Bristol Show or ideally at your local PMC dealer who will be able to advise on the range of options and packages to suit your environment and pocket.

You can find details of your closest authorised dealer here:

PMC UK Dealer Locator

angelislington

Thanks for taking the time to do the gallery. I was never sure about having a veneered back and the photo's don't change my mind on this.

The gloss black plinth looks really nice though.

Oh, and apparently they sound better too :D

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
Thanks for taking the time to do the gallery. I was never sure about having a veneered back and the photo's don't change my mind on this.

I'm quite surprised at that, I think them being veneered properly all the way round will improve their domestic appeal no end. In fact I can't see how it would detract from them in any way compared to the original black unveneered back. Each to their own I guess.

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
As a purist, I deplore additional reflective surfaces in front of my screen. They can drop my ANSI contrast from 350:1 to nearly 349:1 and as such, I must turn away from this new range in disgust.:lesson:

Honestly? I'm not sure I care what colour the back of my speakers are - by the time you get that far round, the sheer volume of system cabling tends to spoil the aesthetic of the cabinet rear anyway.

Russell

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
Can I order a pair of those little ones that hover in the air?

My missus hates my speaker stands!
Suspend them on cables from the ceiling then. It's actually preferable to stands as a concept, if a touch iffy on the aesthetic front.

Russell

M

Maxcherry2

Now they have brought out to i series

Does anyone think I will be able to upgrade my FB1 to FB1+ any cheaper now?

Worth a try!!!:)

frostie101

More importantly how do they sound compared to the previous models ?

Crusty, you said you would tell us more of your own opinions now they are more public.

Please tell :lease:

mlilliman

Crusty, have you had a chance to listen to the new GB1s? I'm quite excited by these and wondered how much of an improvement the tweaks have made (especially as the GB1s will now be at a very tempting price!)?

Cheers,
Mark

DJBlade

It is not possible at all. However the new i-seris are well worth listening to. I changed my OB1s for OB1is and I couldn't be happier. The i-series are substantially better, much, much more than I ever expected.

I just wish they would hurry up and finish designing my new CB6i. :clap:
When will these new speakers be showing on PMC's website ?
Where's everyone getting info ?

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
More importantly how do they sound compared to the previous models ?

Crusty, you said you would tell us more of your own opinions now they are more public.

Please tell :lease:

The new models are quite substantially better than the + Series. The new custom made Seas tweeter is muche cleaner and more open sounding with better dispersion charcteristics. This new super clean top end combined with the upgraded bass drive units also results in much faster and tighter bass, which was never a weak point with the PMCs in the first place, but now it's even better. It almost sounds like veil has been pulled off the front of the tweeter and that the bass is being driven by an amp twice as powerful as it was.

The fit and finish has been improved slightly, with the cabinets now being veneered all the way round being a welcome improvement.

These really should be auditioned by anyone looking for a speaker in this price range. All of my demo stock is due in imminently as PMC will be exhibiting them at this years Bristol Sound & Vision Show.

dhoff002

Standard Member
Crusty,

When pmc qoutes "Phenomenal bass response down to 29Hz" for the GB1i, is that the minus 6db point? What is the spec +_ 3 db for the GB1 +? or GB1i?

Thanks,

Dan

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
When pmc qoutes "Phenomenal bass response down to 29Hz" for the GB1i, is that the minus 6db point?

Yes, as far as I recall that is the -6dB point which is hte most common for most manufacturer's to quote. Also remember that the in-room repsonse will differ from this, with boundary reinforcement probably allowing the GB1i to reach nearer 29Hz @ -3dB.

What is the spec +_ 3 db for the GB1 +? or GB1i?

The on paper specification for the i-Series models is the same as listed for the previous ones as far as I recall. The i-Series perform within the same parameters but do it much, much better.

Besides, specifications don't actually tell you very much about how a speaker sounds, you really ought to go and listen to them for yourself.

Dankeech

This thread clearly belongs in the Speaker Forum, so I'm relocating it there. It's likely that a Mod for that forum will combine this thread with the existing PMCi thread.

Regards,

Dan.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom