PMC, Focal, Dali, or KEF to pair with JBL SDR-35?

KristopherJN

Novice Member
Dear All, my setup base consists of a JBL SDR-35 and Panasonic UBD-9000 plus my Sky Glass 65" TV.

The next step is to upgrade my Speakers and Sub with a 5.1.2 configuration.

I am considering PMC Twenty 5i series and associated in wall/ceiling speakers for the Atmos and rears.

That said I am also thinking at looking at KEF, Dali, or Focal as well.

I would thus welcome people's opinions taking into account I have a £15k budget.

Cheers

Kristopher

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
At that budget i would not limit yourself to the well known players. Lots of scope there for a good, fun system.

From the other side of the pond options include Totem, Paradigm, JBL and GoldenEar, just to name 4.

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
As American Audio says, don't limit yourself to the known players.
In the CI market with a healthy budget, you could look at the likes of artcoustic, Revel, ELAC Vertex 3 series etc.

Maybe try and take a few days travelling around to different showrooms to get an idea on what works for you?

KristopherJN

Novice Member
As American Audio says, don't limit yourself to the known players.
In the CI market with a healthy budget, you could look at the likes of artcoustic, Revel, ELAC Vertex 3 series etc.

Maybe try and take a few days travelling around to different showrooms to get an idea on what works for you?
I did exactly that today. Auditioned Monitor Audio - nope, Focal - Nope, ELAC to check out. As much as I love the USA (having worked for several USA companies) and having a degree in Communication Systems, I studied the history of communications from Graham Bell, Marconi etc up to Vint Cerf and Tim Berners-Lee, and for me a gentleman called Henning Schulzrinne whos work made my career . Sadly I can still draw the calculation for PCM, and thus given I am leaning towards British brands (and no offence to the French, Danish, and others) with C-19 I am fan of supporting our economy (and no I am in no way a Tory). So its come down now to B&W (which I already have), KEF, (possibly ATC) and PMC (which is currently for me the front runner).

I am based in Surrey But I am moving to Berkshire, so normally I buy from the Awesome guys at either Weybridge Audio or Unilet in New Malden.

Tea

Interesting thread.

May I ask how you got on Kristopher?

Im using a JBL SDR-35 too with b&w CM’s. It sounds great but always interested to hear about alternative combinations.

In particular did you get a chance to demo ATC with the receiver? I love the ATC sound, but I’m curious to know if the SDR-35 has the ability to drive them well.

Thanks

ashenfie

I am not sure what your taste and need from the system is, Miller & Kreisel are really a must for audition for movies etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom