PMC FB1+ or EB1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by DESERTFOX, Sep 7, 2007.

1. DESERTFOX

DESERTFOX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I live in Dubai and there is no PMC distributor in the region - lots of nice shiny buildings but not much choice for electronics.

Does anyone know of a UK distributor that would ship me a pair of FB1+s. Are they still priced around 1400?

I have also seen the new EB1's are available - anyone tried these out yet. How are they priced?

I have an AVR350 with some old Mission M74s - bit of a mismatch at the moment!

Cheers

Desert Fox

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Hi there, I am a PMC dealer but I do not ship internationally, but I can help you out with prices.

The UK prices for the PMC Range are as follows:

DB1+: £675
    TB2+: £850
    GB1: £1145
    FB1+: £1700
    OB1: £2700
    EB1: £6000

Your Arcam AVR350 would be reasonably comfortable driving the FB1+s and possibly the OB1s but most certainly not the EB1s. I would recommend a separate power amplifier, something in the range of the Bryston 4BSST upwards, to drive the EB1s properly. The EB1s are also physically huge, measuring 1200x294x465mm (HxWxD).

3. DESERTFOX

DESERTFOX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Crusty.

Looks like it will be FB1+s then.

If I arranged the shipping would you be able to supply a pair?
    Cheers

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    I am actually away on holiday for 2 weeks at the moment. Give my colleagues at the shop a call and see what they say.

We do not generally ship goods internationally because it can be a major headache if soemthing goes wrong or the goods arrive damaged. However, if you are arranging the shipping yourself, once they have been collected from us you are entirely liable for what happens to them, my colleague John may be able to help you out.

5. bolts

bolts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I would really recommend you try to have a demo of them if possible.I had a demo of the FB1+ last week at a London dealer as I have been looking for a replacement for my Genelecs. For the demo they were paired with the AVR350 but both my wife and I felt they came up well short of our expectations and not even close to being good enough to replace the Genelecs.

We have booked a demo of the OB1's for next week which I hope will do the trick, but I would have been very disapointed had I purchased blind.

6. DESERTFOX

DESERTFOX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice.

Not much on offer in the desert in terms of trying stuff out first. There is an excellent Arcam dealer but that's about it. If I don't like them I'll have to just sell them out here and try again!!

Plus being paid in US$ (terrible exhange rate!) turns the grands difference between FB1 and OB1 in price into a hefty amount of dollars!

I really need to get rid of these old Missions!

Cheers

7. DESERTFOX

DESERTFOX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I guess this has been asked a million times but what are my options around the 1500 pound mark other than the FB1+s.

I have an AVR350 and a dv88+ for cd and dvd (that has to go soon as well!).

My music tastes are varied - anything from bass heavy electronic and hip hop to pink floyd, tori amos, kate bush, snow patrol, razorlight and sigur ros. The most disappointing thing at the moment is that the M74's kill anything with a vaguely high pitch - it hurts my ears!! This rules out playing anything guitar heavy too loud.

Not too bothered about AV performance as long as it works.

Thanks again