• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

pmc db1i vs dynaudio excite x12 gloss black

THE-STIG-08

Established Member
decisions decisions... i have both of these coming on home demo and would like your thoughts on the two before i start my demo's next week.

pmc db1i sounds great in the demo rooms with great imaging and soundstage but the price has risen alot since it first came out..

then theres the stunning dynaudio excite x12 in piano black slightly cheaper but also sounds amazing.

i have just managed to book a demo of the atc scm11's as well so thats now thrown in the mix to confuse things even more..

this is a toughy hence why i need your help..

for the time being the speakers will be connected to the kit in my signiture but i may upgrade the amp at some point.

budget is £1000

Last edited:

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
For us, the SCM11 represents one of the best speakers under £1k, as long as they're driven properly.

Having done comparisons with the speakers you mention, I found the SCM11 to sound far clearer in the mid/bass section, giving a much more accurate view as to what was going on. The main thing about the DB1i's for me is that they're quite a lively speaker - they still have a bit of sparkle at lower volumes, where some speakers just become dull. Their price has gone up a bit, which is why we're now selling more TB2i's than DB1i's, as the TB2i's are £1250, and use the larger mid/bass driver like the FB1i - which I feel PMC really are all about (not keen on the DB1i and GB1i).

I do like the X12's - in fact I preferred them to the floorstanders in the range, which just seemed imbalanced to me.

Last edited:

THE-STIG-08

Established Member
i listened to both and currently have the db1i's on home demo, the pmc's are the clear winner out of the two, i won't even bother with the ATC's as they are too large and need better amplification than my mira can deliver. for me these little pmc's are just what the doctor ordered.

:arty:

GW43

Prominent Member
i listened to both and currently have the db1i's on home demo, the pmc's are the clear winner out of the two, i won't even bother with the ATC's as they are too large and need better amplification than my mira can deliver. for me these little pmc's are just what the doctor ordered.

:arty:

I went the other way, and got the Dynaudio - wouldn't do for us all to be alike!

See my (long) post on my demoing experience. To cut a long story short, I had a home demo with the Dynos and PMC GB1i, and the Dynos sounded much better all round. V disappointed with the GB1i to be honest.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/speakers/1103048-my-recent-speaker-buying-experience-long-post.html

THE-STIG-08

Established Member
i know, i read it first.. hence why i demo'd them first, i really wanted to love the dynaudio's they had a great build quality and available in piano black and a couple of hundred quid cheaper.but as soon as i fired up the pmc's my wife and i agreed hands down the pmc's worked better in our set up. they worked better in the demo room too but i had to take them home for a home demo just to be sure.

you're right if we were all the same life would be a bore!:thumbsup:

alpha10

Prominent Member

Just to throw another in the mix as you like the DB1i, have you tried the PMC TB2i, there is not that much difference in the price now, and you get alot more speaker??

THE-STIG-08

Established Member
yer i did try those but the db1i's had a better soundstage and imaging in the demo room and at home which was quite weird but the tb2i's did sound sublime, but for me they were to big and bulky for my room hence why i went for the db1i's

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom