1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PMC DB-1 vs Quad 11L with Arcam 192 & Roksan Kandy

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by virtualpt, May 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. virtualpt

virtualpt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've just been out demoing stuff & have unfortunately ;) listened to the Arcam CD 192, which is above my budget (but now I have to have it).

I was originally listening to it because they had a Musical Fidelity X-80 for £250, which would have brought the Arcam within my budget. Unfortunately I didn't like the sound with the X-80 :( , music sounded great, but vocals seemed to get lost.

Tried a Cyrus CD8 with the MF X-80 amp, but after listening to the Arcam there was no comparison.

Tried out a Rotel Amp (can't remember which model), then the Roksan Kandy Mk3 & preferred the sound with the Arcam & the Roksan together. Couldn't decide between speakers though.

I need small speakers & because of room size & layout, they will have to be mounted on wall brackets.

Tried both the PMC DB1 & Quad 11L, but my ears were getting tired by this time & am going to go back next week for another demo.

So now my original budget for cd, amp & speakers of £1500 will go on the CD & amp & I will have to go over budget for the speakers.

I was wondering what peoples thoughts here were on the Quads vs the PMCs with the Arcam & Roksan? Or if anyone had any other recommendations for speakers (good for wall mounting) to go with this combo?

Thanks
    Paul

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    have u tried any speakers by monitor audio great sounding speakers.

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The main advantage of the PMC range is that they are front venting. Not to mention being excellent speakers. Slightly biased here, I fell in love with PMC, despite being a monitor audio fan. The PMC's are nice and neutral, bass response is excellent for such a small cabinet. To get the equivilent from Monitor Audio I'd say it would have to be the GR10.
    Personally I think PMC have the edge on the Quad as well.

4. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I recently specced the Roksan Kandy MKIII CD & Amp for a friends system and it really does kick when hooked up to the DB1's on a pair of Atacama SE6 speakers stands (filled with Atabytes). Interconnect was a pair of Van Den Hul D-102's and Van Den Hul SnowTrack speaker cable. However, I was amazed to hear a story from another friend (who's a bit more discerning than myself) saying that he'd heard the DB1's hooked up to a NAD 521BEE CD Player and a NAD C320BEE Amplifier (A fairly modest £420 combination considering the calibre of the speakers) and was gobsmacked by the sheer dynamics and soundstage from such a small system...Try it out!!

5. virtualpt

virtualpt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys for your responses

No, the dealer I auditioned at today does not stock Monitor Audio. I am going to see if I can get a day off work in a week or so & check out a couple of dealers in Bath. I can't imagine I'm gonna find a CD player that sounds better than the Arcam in the same price range though!

I noticed on the PMC web site that they sell a wall bracket for the DB1, does anyone know where you can buy these & how much they cost, I'll ask the dealer when I go back, but wondered if anyone knew?

Thanks
    Paul :)

6. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    You'll find Radfords stock both PMC and Monitor Audio they may also have Quad.
    No idea about the brackets, I can't imagine many dealers will carry them but i'm sure they'll be able to get them.

7. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The wall brackets are available from any PMC dealer for £55 a pair. They may seem alot steeper in price than a B-Tech equivalent (£30), but the DB1 has specific mounting points at the back which are far more discreet than having a great hunk of metal supporting the speaker from the bottom and on the sides.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you don't mind the slightly more agricultural look why not have a look at the professional equivalents from PMC. The DB1S+ has a list price of £558.13 but is available with substantial discount from Pro Audio here

9. virtualpt

virtualpt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ian, what is the difference between the DB1+ & the DB1S+, is it just cosmetic?

Thanks Mr Merrick for bracket prices.

Thanks Nightshade, am going to book a demo at Radfords.

I didn't audition the Arcam 192 with any Arcam amps. So may try it out with the A80 (probably can't afford the A90), although the Roksan seems to get more favourable reviews & comments than the A80, but may be worth a try any way.

Paul

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I'm surprised you thought the Arcam was far superior to the Cyrus CD8. I've heard the Arcam and thought it had a different sound to the Arcam (less forward) but not superior.

I have the Cyrus CD8 and Musical Fidelity X-80 driving some Castle Durham 3's and am very happy with them. The best thing about it is that it cost me less than £1k! :)

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I believe that the differences are cosmetic but I'm not 100% sure. The DB1S was upgraded to + status at the same time as the domestic version, the DB1 was upgraded to the DB1+

12. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Radfords in Bath should indeed have Quad, they usually have some in the window and I walk past it most days. :)

13. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I thought the 's' upgrade gave them the fabric dome tweeter of the OB1. Could be wrong though....

14. virtualpt

virtualpt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess all of our ears (& tastes) are different. I seemed to hear more detail from the Arcam than the Cyrus & playing one straight after the other through the same setup I preferred the Arcam a lot. It wasn't even close for me, the Cyrus seemed less defined & more muddy straight after the Arcam. I'm sure if I hadn't heard the Arcam I would have gone for the Cyrus, as it was good, but just not in comparison. But who knows, I may give it another listen & I may feel differently!

It's quite a hard job choosing a system! For me it is a battle of two forces, one to get exactly the right system within my budget (which could take a lot of listens & a long time). And two, I want it right now!! I guess in the end it'll be a compromise, as one could spend 'forever' trying to get it right. :)

I really wish I'd liked the MF X-80, as the price was great, & there was a lot about it I did like. But I did find that vocals seemed to get a bit lost in the music. Tracks I listened to were Led Zeppelin 'Bron y Aur Stomp' from III, Kruder & Dorfmeister mix of Depeche Mode 'Useless' from K&D Sessions & Massive Attack 'Angel' from Mezzanine. I had wanted to listen to Nick Cave, but when I got to the shop, I opened the CD case to realize I'd been listening to it in the car on the way there & had left it in the car. D'oh!

Thanks eviljohn & Ian for your replies also.

This forum is excellent, I really appreciate everyones help here.

Thanks
    Paul

15. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Fair enough. The Arcam is a brilliant spinner, I'm sure you'll be well-chuffed! :)

16. virtualpt

virtualpt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just looked on the PMC website & it appears that the + was the upgrade to the fabric dome 'The DB1+ now shares the superb soft dome high frequency unit utilized in the larger 2 & 3-Way designs displaying an identical tonal balance and ultra-wide dispersion characteristic'.

Looks like the difference is cosmetic with the DB1 being available in a selection of laminate finishes & the DB1S being covered in some resilient black 'stuff' (better for wear & tear in a studio apparently).

Although about £75 cheaper for the DB1S, I still think I'd spend the extra so they'd look a bit better in the house :)

Paul