pmc 21

You might be better off in the speakers forum, but here's by brief assessment copied from http://www.avforums.com/forums/hi-fi-systems-separates/1545144-audiolab-m-dac-9.html

Time limits meant that I wasn't concentrating as hard on the PMC speakers as I would have liked to, but I'll be spending some more quality time with them in due course.

I've long been looking for better performance at low volumes in an awkward space and came across the Twenty range. I read somewhere that they are designed to work well off axis - in fact can seem a bit bright if conventionally toed in. They're front ported so don't object to being near a wall, or different distance from a wall.

Essentially I'm looking for a bigger and more detailed sound - the kind of effect you'd get by turning the volume up - without turning the volume up. The PMCs delivered. One of the most impressive things about them is the fact that they manage to create a passable stereo image at low volumes way off axis. They still sounded good at about an 80 degree angle.

They also vanish visually very effectively - they're very narrow and lean backwards in a rather understated way - and are beautifully finished.

I think some will find them too bright or detailed, depending on the rest of the setup. I would guess that they have a rather flat response except for a slight bump near the top end, which will be partly what preserves detail off axis, but I'd love to see some plots. The PMCs were a good match for the Hypex power amp or the MDAC as a preamp but I suspect that some would find the combination of all three just a little bit unforgiving or lacking warmth.

If you're considering the Twenty.21s, though, then don't do what I did and make the mistake of listening to the Twenty.23s. The increased cabinet size makes a massive difference, and the greater bass range improves the off-axis behaviour still further. I'm debating whether to get the 21s and an antimode for my sub to get some of the same effect for lower cost, or whether to bite the bullet and go for the 23s - which are no wider than the 21s - and lose the sub.

iansy said:
anyone tried pmc 21 and if so what were they like?

We have a long running PMC owners thread on the speakers board, why don't you pop over, I am sure we will be able to help you out.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom