PMA400E Video 1 connections

Digsy 1971

Established Member
Reaction score
To suppliment my VGA and s-video inputs into my Hitachi 42PMA400E, I may be forced to run an additional composite feed, as I just found out that my VCR and Sky box may not be able to output an s-video signal and I do not have the cash kicking around to get an upconverter box just yet.

However, the PMA only has one composite and one s-video input, and they are both connected to the Video 1 circuitry. Russell at Nexnix told me that for this reason I would have to use one or the other - not both - as my Video 1 input. During the tests we ran when I was there demoing the screen, even the presence of a plug (whether supplying a signal or not) in one of these sockets would mean the other could not be used. I didn't think it sounded logical either, but that is what seemed to be happening.

Just in case I cannot get an s-video signal out of my VCR / Sky box, has anyone sucessfully managed to feed a PMA400 with both composite and s-video signals while leaving both cables connected all the time?

TIA

Hi

Are you running a DVD - if yes, are you using the component connections. If not, and you haven't got an AV amp with multi connections, I suggest a small converter - I spent £85 inc shipping on a SCART RGB TO COMPONENT (Y-U-V) CONVERTER

Order Code:- CSY2100

Allows you to connect a Scart RGB device to the Component (Y-U-V) inputs on your Plasma.

Supplied with DC adapter.

This is from Lektropacks.co.uk. You will then be able to plug in either your sky or VCR through component and have composite running on the other. The quality is great through Sky. I've abandoned the SVideo on my sky plus as the quality wasn't up to it.

By the way - Is the fan annoying you??

Hope that helps?

Dave

Hi Dave.

I'm aware that I could spend circa £100 and get an upconverter that would allow me to use the component inputs (video 2) along side my s-video or composite (video 1) feed. However, my budget has just about run out and I'm looking for ways to hook everything together and get it working until I can spend a bit more on it.

To be honest (being a newbie to AV stuff) I'm a bit miffed that the Denon specs on their website sre not more clear about whether an amp can switch across sources. I thought any input could be switched to any output, but it turns out that the 1803 can only switch s-vhs to s-vhs and composite to composite. Had I known about this ealier I may have cut my cloth differently and saved up for the 3803 (which can do up conversion from all sources). As is happens I could not have found out the truth at a worse time. My 1803 arrived at the shop today and as it was a special order I cannot change it just because it is no longer fit for my requirements :-(

I have a couple of other threads running to try to find out if I can convert composite to s-video because that is really the way I want to go. If I run anything through comoponant in the future it will be my DVD player.

Because I still do not have my AVR in my grubby hands, the screen is still silent on the wall, so the fan noise is no problem at the moment! :)

Regards,

Answered my own question.

If you are using the composite feed on video-1, you cannot even plug an s-video lead in at the same time. It blanks the screen. It does not matter whether there is a signal on the s feed or not - the mere presence of the plug in the socket seems to cause a conflict.

Strange but true.

Originally posted by dblake
Hi

Are you running a DVD - if yes, are you using the component connections. If not, and you haven't got an AV amp with multi connections, I suggest a small converter - I spent £85 inc shipping on a SCART RGB TO COMPONENT (Y-U-V) CONVERTER

Order Code:- CSY2100

Allows you to connect a Scart RGB device to the Component (Y-U-V) inputs on your Plasma.

Supplied with DC adapter.

This is from Lektropacks.co.uk. You will then be able to plug in either your sky or VCR through component and have composite running on the other. The quality is great through Sky. I've abandoned the SVideo on my sky plus as the quality wasn't up to it.

By the way - Is the fan annoying you??

Hope that helps?

Dave

Just a short note to say I have been using a Keene RGB2Component switch box, have had a few problems with the screen jumping. Spoke to tech at av-sales how said that they have had my problem before and say that the Keene convertor is not good with the PMA400E screen. Have now changed to a JS RGB2Component and screen jumping has now gone.

L8tr

Zorg

The video 1 of the Hitachi 400E defaults to "S" if connected. I just use this for VCR inputs. It's not possible to have composite as well as "S" on video1.
I reckon the best way to use this screen is to configure for the other 3 inputs as Component.
These could be used for $ky, DVD and Freeview - all as component. This gives great PQ on all inputs.
(PS: You might need JS convertors, tho...)
(PPS : As another thread - gray bars at the side on 4:3 can be changed to black via the menu and display options.)
Regards

Hi,

I have a Hitachi 42PMA400E. I've managed to connect my Sky digibox via the composite input, and have bought a RGC Scart to composite connector from Lektropacks to connect my Pioneer DVD player, but I can't get it to work - I get the message 'out of frequency'.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated. Do I need to do anything more to the Plasma panel or the DVD player (I've set the out put on that to RGB)?

Thanks,

Simon

My original thread subject is kind of out of date now as I have connected everything except for my VCR using RGB+composite sync.

If you are outputting RGB from your DVD player's SCART socket you shoud still have the composite signal on the usual pin (17 / 19). My PMA has been fairly idiot proof when connecting vido sources (apart from the video 1 composite / S video conflict). No errors so far for me.

The instruction book isn't exactly helpful on that error message, is it? :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom