PM 7200 KI Sig vs Nad C372T?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Sab, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I presently own a Marantz Pm7200 KI Sig and I am wondering if I should change it for a NAD C372T. The NAD has a power output of 2 x 150W and the Marantz 2 x 95W. I will be using it to drive the front left and right speakers in a 6.1 system.

I have been told that my FR L + R - PMC TB2 s sound better the more power they get. The Marantz does not amaze me with its sound quality.

Is there anyone here with experience with the old NAD C370? Will the NAD sound better?

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    I heard the Marantz at the Bristol show in Feb and thought it was lovely. Plenty powerful too.
    I am also familiar with the NAD C370 and am not a big fan. The bass was a bit slow and it lacked some excitement. I suspect the C372T may have a similar sound, but you'll have to demo.

However I can't help thinking the NAD would be a sideways step. You should perhaps try an amp from the class above to get an improvement IMO.

Oh, and what are you using for your source? DVD player? If you want an improvement in your stereo sound, you should try a dedicated CD player instead. :)

3. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    At the moment I am using an Arcam CD23T as my CD player and £500 is my budget for a stereo integrated amp. I am unable to go for the Arcam A85 because of this ex-dem is £600.

But I will be using this amp in my 6.1 setup with home cinema / music combined. I need a stereo amp that will control my front L / R and be easy to switch from music to av ... the A85 can do this I know but is a tad expensive.

4. mudan

mudan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I haven't tried the PM7200 but used to own a NAD C370. The NAD has a very big and powerful sound, however I find it lacking in accuracy and detail/speed, so I sold it when I realised that my old Pioneer A400 which was left neglected in use as a power amp in my cinema system, sounded significantly better. To be honest it came as quite a shock.

Previously I'd owned the C320 and the C370 is much better.
    The Marantz amp I'd heard quite a while back(can't recall the model) had a very fast and detailed sound. Going by reviews I've read over time, it seems that Marantz have continued in the same path.

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,710
    The PM7200KI is a superb amp and to my mind scores over the NAD for accuracy, build quality and flexibilty (built in phono stage, Class A operation). It can also be found for £350 odd which is a bit of a steal.