1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plz help me with some basic things on the back of AV Recivers.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by CosmicOne, Aug 8, 2004.

1. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry guys but am a noob in this & i have a ****y KenWood amp with so little inputs & outputs & am planning on getting a Yamaha RXV650 & i was looking at it's PDF manual & looking at the back of it & found that i has many many things i don't know what they are used for so plz help me with my questions:

1-What's the Presence channel???

2-What's the monitor out??

3-Why it has too much Svideo out puts (7 of them)

4-could i configurate the RXV650 with it's display only or i must use the on screen display on a TV to get all options???

5-the amps power is stated as 130w/165w 8ohm/6ohm does that mean when i go down with impedance on speakers i will get more power??(is that means my Wharfedal 8.4 150w 6ohm speakers will get 165w from the amp instead of 130W?)

6-I really want to know this,i have a Sony DVD (DVP-NS305) which i always connect it directly to my TV with the svideo connector,if i get this amp should i connect it to the amp & them from the amp to the TV??& if yes why i should do that??also i noticed that the amp has Component video (Y CB CR) & my sony DVD have them but my TV doesn't,so can i get any benifit from having it on Amp & DVD????

sorry guys for all this questions but knowlage is really needed here.

2. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,where's the help?? plz help me if u can.

3. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - from the top...
    1. The presence channel on Yamaha amps is normally 2 speakers that go at the front of the room above and slightly out from the front L & R speakers. Yamaha made their name on DSP's (Digital Soundfield Processing...) and to use some of these DSP's, it's beneficial but not important, to have these 2 speakers connected...normally the "advanced" DSP IIRC, uses the presence channel...

2. The monitor out is the socket you use to connect the amp to your TV...I'll cover this in more depth a little later.

3. It dosen't have 7 s video outputs...it has 7 s video inputs. Going back to question 2, this enables you to connect all your viewing devices ie. DVD, satellite, VCR and maybe DVD recorder to the amp and have just the one cable going to your TV. It in effect turns the amp into a video switch box.

4. You'll get all the options whether you use the on screen display or the display on the amp...it's just easier to read the display on the tv...but you won't get the onscreen display unless you use the monitor out socket.

5. It dosen't mean you get more power - no. The speakers offer less resiatance, hence they will, in effect, go louder. I'm not really up to speed on this. Sorry.

6. You won't be able to connect the amp to your TV using component out if it dosent have the socket...you can get a component to RGB converter online, but to keep it simple, I would stick to s video cables...

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    For the impedence question (number 5), a speaker with a lower impedence "sucks" more current from the amplifier. A low impedence speaker is much harder to drive than a higher impedence speaker. You won't get differences in volume here. Bear in mind that speaker manufacturers usually only quote a nominal impedence but in reality this changes with frequency. Bass notes require far more "power" to be sent to the speaker. I wouldn't worry about it too much as there should be enough power for your speakers.

Although there are a number of factors, the volume you mention is mainly effected by a speakers sensitivity. This is the sound pressure the speaker can generate at a given distance (1 metre I think) with 1 watt of power being provided. Again I wouldn't worry about it too much.

5. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx guys very much,ur help is really appreciated,
    but i want to know,Is there any advantage in connecting my dvd to the amp then the amp to TV??instead of connecting the DVD to the tv direct like am using now???

6. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are only connecting the DVD player, and nothing else - there is no advantage, other than you will get on screen display from the amp...if you can live without that (personally, I can't), then why change it...?