1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plz help lg dlp or lg plasma?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by timanfiya, Nov 20, 2004.

1. timanfiya

timanfiya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been reading some of the threads on the lg dlp rear projectors but cannot seem to find much of a comparison between this and the lg plasma.

The ones I am interested in are the LG RE44SZ21RD DLP rear projector and the LG RZ42PX11 42" Plasma.

I've tried to look at these on display but cannot find any showing decent quality pictures, I put these down to the inputs being used, but it means I can't physically compare the two.

The Plasma is that little bit more cost but I am willing to pay this if the picture is far superior to the DLP.

Can anyone please help me make an informed choice on these two?

:lease:

2. timanfiya

timanfiya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone have any ideas about this?? plz -

just been looking at the new toshiba dlp and panasonic th42pw6 plasma? Suppose these might be better, but still struggling to decide on which technology is better.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Why do you put the poor performance down to the connection? DLP RPTV is an RPTV big black boxes limited veiwing angle etc etc etc etc tec ~PLasma is a Flat panel display wall mountable etc etc etc etc have a look at http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154292&highlight=beginner for some help and info

4. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Sorry to correct u Mr Dragon.........

But dlp doesnt have a viewing angle problem at all..............I can sit extreme left and right of my Tosh Dlp and the brightness does not alter at all.

On its stand it looks like a Plasma (but the pic is infinitely better) - admittedly it cant be wall mounted - but as a 46 " TV - It takes up loads less space than the 36" crt that it replaced.

And the stand is included in the price (not extra like wall brackets and stands and stuff) - just £1580.00 from Costco with 3 yr gtee - now dont get me onto Hi Def stuff from the xbox!

Plasma?

No thankyou........................

Dave, Oldham.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I agree its great but still alot deeper than ~Plasma and not wall mountable (the point of PLasma) its the vertical veiwing angle that is limited not horizontal, they sorted that out on LCD RPTV........... (but remeber its is just a projector in a box)

6. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Yep as I said above Mr Dragon not wall mountable...............

But surely the point of any display is not the fact that its wall mountable - but the display quality.

After all that is its main purpose - and for the average house (who wont goto the trouble of wall mounting) - the dlp represents a hi def solution at a fraction of the cost of a hi def plasma - and takes up the same footprint as a plasma on a stand - but looks just the same.

From the front this tv looks like a plasma display - its only when u look around the back the game is given away!

Dave, Oldham.

7. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I agree with ya DAVE
    this is however going to be a big debate as people with plasmas are going to say that plasmas are best and people who have DLP rear projectors (or should i say get as there are not many people with them yet) will say they have the best.........but the truth is there is no perfect display they have there ups and downs BUT as someone who has one of each a privileged one i think :) I can honestly say DLP by a long way.........But people with plasmas kid themselfs into saying dlp lamps are gonna cost you 1500 quid over a five year period when i highly doubt this personally but time will tell and costco will return it anyways within 3 yrs :) where as my plasma is not as good a picture IMHO but still really good and i saw a high def display at harrods on saturday and it is unbelieable so whether you get dlp or plasma if it is high def capable then you are in for a treat in 18 months time!!!! I CANT WAIT!!!!!
    so in closing there are ups and downs to both technologies you have to judge for yourself what it is that you want and i am sure there will be a different opinion with everyone but you have to remember to do a good amount of research and take what people say with a pinch of salt as they are probably justifying there purchase.................
    :hiya:

8. timanfiya

timanfiya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It doesn't matter that it cannot be wall mounted as I am putting it on a stand so thats not relly the issue for me. I know a liitle about the two types of tv and how they work but at the end of the day it is the quality of the picture that concerns me. The set up in the shop for tv's in curry's (the only place I can find with both tvs on display) is run on RF leads and not scart and the DLP is showing pictures being picked up by a crappy ariel signal (no tv could possibly look that poor quality).

Anyway, I don't believe I can truely comment on which has the best picture unless both are playing the same dvd side by side on the same set up.

Like you say, the crappy picture on the DLP may not all be down to a crap setup and it could be in part the tv itself. This is what I am trying to determine. I have heard that the DLP does not have as vibrant colours or contrasts as a plasma and that dark scenes are almost unrecognisable, as for definition I don't know?? But I also want something reliable that will last, without huge maintanence costs. I know I will need to replace the bulb in the DLP every 2-3yrs? and am happy to do this. Is the quality of picture of drastic difference - would something like the new toshiba dlp be better than an lg or dwp6 panasonic plasma???

Anyone who owns a LG DLP, how would you say it fairs up to the plasma displays that you have seen, in particular the panny 6 or lg px11??

9. timanfiya

timanfiya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your post welsh113, can I ask which make and model DLP you have and which plasma you are comparing it to? Cheers

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    in an ideal world PQ would reign but it doesnt DLP RPTV are cool if you have the room to put it in.
    As i own neither i am not defending my purchase merely stating an opinion....

11. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i had the thomson 50dly645 but had it replaced and now have a thosiba 46 inch dlp right now and i have a hitachi hidef in the back room i can honestly say that the thosiba is better for PQ but there again what one person likes another may not...........The LG is not hidef and in my opinion not that great but then again i have not seen it set up properly and if you have to pick the plasma or dlp that LG are offering i would pick the LG personally as long as you read about the pitfalls of plasma like brightness loss over the years and the 60,000 life of panel is not to be believed in my opinion but then again this is just my opinion there will be many differing opinions look into the reviews on plasma from the states there more honest with how they fair then here!!!!

12. timanfiya

timanfiya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Do you know where I can get the toshiba DLP at a reasonable price? Looked on the other thread and there only seems to be a couple of places selling them, cheapest being costco at £1600? Only problem is that at the mo I could do with getting it on 12mth buy now pay later and the companys selling at the cheap prices dont do this.

How do the dark scenes fair on the tosh DLP? Can you see them properly?

13. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Patience is probably the word on the new Tosh. It only just came out, so wait a while and some other retailers should have it.

To get an idea of the picture quality that the latest DLPs can achieve then try and see one of the new Samsung 50" models that are on display in Currys stores. I've seen two now. One hooked up to a Sammy all-in-one system (via component), and the other to the standard distributed RF system. Surprisingly, even the latter looked good, particularly when the demo loop was showing film material.