1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLV30 optimum set-up

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Johnty, Sep 22, 2001.

1. Johnty

Johnty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been following threads on the PLV30 and hoping to get a demo soon.I note that it is essential to set up the projector proprerly for optimum performance.What does this entail?<br />What would be the procedure for the PLV30?<br />Knowing that may help me understand if demo is set accordingly and that I am seeing it function at its best.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In a demo you probably have to take the word of those in the shop, unless they let you take your copy of AVIA with you to calibrate!

Ad

3. Johnty

Johnty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ad,

tks yr comment

As you have the Plv30 what specific set up have you carried out to ensure optimum prformance/

Is there any specific tweaks necessary?

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    all i have done is set up with all the tests that are associated with the avia disc. To be honest, im certain the picture can be bettered, if i had the opportunity, I would get hold of gordon from these forums to come and set it up, if you want the best, he is the guy to do it!

Ad

5. Johnty

Johnty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ad,

You mentioned this AVIA disk for set up purposes.

I`ve seen this mentioned before.<br />Where can I obtain one for PAL system?<br />rgds

John

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ahha! A pal avia disc.....that question i cannot answer, whether one exists i dont know! Since i use region one dvds almos exclusively, i dont really care about pal! You can get the regular ntsc disc at <a href="http://www.movietyme.com" target="_blank">www.movietyme.com</a> if you search under misc.

Ad

7. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    AFAIK, there are no Pal equivalents to the AVIA and Video Essentials discs yet.

Using AVIA teaches you what a correctly calibrated NTSC picture should look like (given the limitations of your particular set-up). Once you know what to look for you can then apply the same knowledge to PAL, using regular films as a "test signal".

A few quick tips:

First, make sure that the shops' DVD player is set to 16:9 - you'd be surprised how often they get this wrong. Check the projector is set to 16:9

Setting black level: Play a 2.35:1 anamorphic film. Increase the brightness until you see grey/black bars appear above and below the picture. These bars should be slightly lighter than normal black background. Now reduce brightness until bars match the background.

Setting contrast: Use a film like Shakespear in Love or Saving Private Ryan. Pick a scene with a shot of sky or lots of light whites and creams.

With the contrast set too high, details in the lightest areas of the picture disappear, we call this "bleaching out". It's very similar to over exposeure in a camera.

Reduce contrast to see the detail return. Reduce further and the picture starts to lose impact and look a little flat.

The correct setting is just before fine detail bleaches out.

Good luck

8. Johnty

Johnty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just like to thank Ad and Chris for useful info.

Will order copy of AVIA disk and take along to demo.<br />rgds John