1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLV30 into Z1. Has any1 done it?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by AlfaKhan, Dec 15, 2002.

1. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Has anyone upgraded from a PLV30 to a Z1 lately? I would like to have a second opinion from anyone who did.

I got a demo of the Z1 (2 units, actually) at my place last Friday night and now I’m hard pressed into taking a decision on buying one.

I could see a definite difference, for the better, with the Z1 against the PLV30. The first unit was flawed convergence-wise and also had a dead pixel. The second unit was perfect, so a got the serial written down, should I decide buying it. The 2 units displayed a slightly geometry deformation in the lower left corner of the image, but I suspect this is a problem with my screen installation, since I also note a slight distortion with my PLV30.

Someone is offering me 1200 Euros (around 772 GBP) for the PLV30, so I could make the jump with only 1070 Euros (around 690 GBP) coming up from my pocket.

What I’m struggling with here is that, although the displayed image was better than the PLV30 I don’t know if it really justifies paying what is needed for it. Also, I would have to adjust my set up, due to the Z1 shorter throw. If I don’t advance the projector positioning, the image, even at minimum zoom, will overfill the lateral limits of the screen (the screen cannot be moved).

The demo was a bit restricted due to time constraints so I’m looking for someone who may have already made the jump, to come up with some insight on it.

Txs for any replies.

HB

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im not entirely qualified to answer......

I find it hard to believe that the difference could be worth that money. The plv 30 is still pretty good and id suggest that many people could get a better improvement with attention to the source than with a change in projector. Too be honest i see what you are suggesting as something of a sideways step.....

ad

3. Noman

Noman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have considered it but taken the decision not to. The reasons?

I watch a lot of TV and computer on my projector and then the Z1 is a downgrade.

I have 4.5 meter to my 100" screen (back wall to front wall) and I don´t want to mount a projector in the ceiling in front of my viewing position.

The difference in picture quality is minimal. I have had the opportunity to try a PLV-70 for several weeks and there you could notice the higher res. and also the high ANSI/higher contrast especially in dark movies.

Nope, the PLV-30 is damned good for the money, and It takes more than the Z1 for me to change projector.

(If the PLV-70 was in the same price-range i would buy it tomorrow..)

4. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Txs Buns and Noman,

I partially agree. I find the PLV30 still very good to my taste.

The problem is with the 4:3 panels. I really would like to change into something 16:9.

The PLV30 works fine until 16:9 native material, but when wider fomats come into play, too much panel space is wasted and the remaining is just not enough to display an acceptable detailed image.

Never happy, I guess...

HB

5. pinkerton

pinkerton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I Have been VERY tempted, until I got the tape measure out and soon realised that the Z1 would create a image larger than the wall it would have to project on, moving it closer is not an option.
    The throw is just too short, maybe a replan of the room, or maybe the AE300?