PLV-Z5 calibration help and suggestions!!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by George P., Aug 30, 2007.

1. George P.

George P.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    A happy user of the Sharp XV-Z201e couldnt resist the new price of the Z5 so i own one from yesterday.
    Fiirst impression was ok....then i start playing with different settings (i have an HTPC with HDMI out and a DENON 1910) and i found myself not happy with the overall image:thumbsdow.
    So i said lets try the THX calibration from Star Wars ...well i did it and i found myself wondering whats going on.....:suicide:?
    Both of the test patterns and especially the brightness one are coloured not greyscale...i tried all the different image settings and the colour is there, HDMI and component connection through DENON 1910.

My questions are:
    1) Am i supposed to see colour while running the contrast/brightness patterns?
    2) If will purchase the DVE disk which one is recommended? (i dont have HD players yet but the main connection to the Z5 is through [email protected] 1280x720
    3) Which is the best way to calibrate the Z5? especially through HTPC

I have to add that i have used a generic 3m hdmi to dvi-hdmi with adaptop cable, a 10m dvi to dvi converted to hdmi with adaptors, and an excellent 5m Vandame component cable.... all of them produced almost the same results (colour on the grayscale patterns). Any chance to be so unlucky with all the cables and the problem is just cables?

Oh...i have used 3 different THX disks....star wars and 2 from the indiana jones boxset....

Any help or suggestions ???? :lease:

Thanks in advance
    George

2. George P.

George P.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Morning !

3. George P.

George P.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I am just wondering if i post it in a wrong category?:eek:

Any suggestions from a moderator :lease:
    Thanks
    George

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,112
    There shouldn't be colour in a grey test pattern..... I am unfamilier with the test patterns you are talking about.

First off, can you change the colourspace output of your DVD between component and rgb. If so try that and see what happens. If you are sending RGB to an input set up for YUV/YPrPb then you are going to not get a grey image with a grey test pattern. Same if you send YUV to an input set for RGB.

Gordon

5. George P.

George P.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Thank you for your reply. The connection was definitely YUV both sides, that's why i thought it was a problem there.
    Anyway i bought a better cable and the HD/SD combo DVE disk yesterday and i saw a definite impovement. The DVE grayscale patterns do not have any colour information so certainly it was the THX calibration pattern which is strange.....(i still see colour in that particular pattern even with the new cable:eek:)

I tried to calibrate the projector with DVE (first time:D)...well i have to watch the guide again as i m still a bit confused about the contrast test pattern.
    Managed to get blue and red spot on but green is not good at all. Generally i am happier:thumbsup: now especially as i saw colour and sharpness improved dramatically with the aid of the new cable.

I haven't used a dvd player, DVE patterns used through an HTPC and i assume that this makes my life more difficult as i have to set up the software/graphics card right (colourspace wise).

Last question...do you have experience with the Sanyo PLV-Z5 projector? To calibrate it i used as standard output the natural mode to start with, which has literally all the auto functions disabled, everything else set to 0, the lamp control to normal, lens iris -30 and the lamp iris set to open. I am not sure with which settings to start with for a good calibration as this projector has this double iris feature which makes things a bit more complicated?

Again thank you for your time and have a nice weekend:smashin:

Regards
    George