1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLV-Z3 pixel color problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Meddy, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Meddy

Meddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi everyone or anyone,

I just bought a Sanyo PLV-Z3 as my first ever projector and was amazed blah blah blah. After the initial excitement I sat down to watch a DVD on my Philips DVP630 using component output. During the film noticed how the colour on the left side of the projected picture was slightly redder than the right side, particularly noticeable on areas of white, eg walls in the film.

Also while watching the film I went to the projectors Color menu and turned it all the way down so that i was watching a black and white picture. And yep, as I suspected the left side of the picture was tinted while the right side had the correct grayness.

I connected my computer to the projector and opened up a white background and it was true. The left side had a redish tint to it. I went up to the screen and looked very carefully. I could make out each pixel and I noticed that the pixels on the left side of the screen had a red halo or border but the pixels towards the right side of the projected image didn't have the red border. The border effect reduced as one looked from the left side to the right side.

The question I want to ask is do I have a faulty projector? Or can I eliminate the red pixel borders myself. I still have time to return the projector and get a replacement.

Thanks.

Meddy

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    The TX100 can have similar colour uniformity issues on certain units. I think both machines employ the same epson LCD panels. There is a factory menu adjustment on the TX which can help, I'm unsure if there is similar on the Z3. It's not a common problem on the Z3 or the TX, hence you are justified in reporting this as a problem...PJ

3. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I had a similar issue when I bought a Z3 - red on one side of the image and green on the other. I returned the pj and received a replacement which was much better... however, now I had expectations! The second unit appeared to give a slightly sharper image, but at the expense of more noticeable vertical banding!

I was told that this red/green "smudging" was a panel allignment problem and could most likely be tweaked out, but if you can exchange the unit that may be your best option. Hopefully if you do choose to swap out you'll get an acceptable one, but be prepared though - any replacement may have other issues, possibly leaving you wishing you'd kept your original uint!

Good luck :thumbsup:

4. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like mirrow alignment issue, so, either replacement or repair u/w

5. Meddy

Meddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the replies.

I guessed as much. Oh well. I was enjoying the big screen experience at home. Unfortunately it got to the point where I was no longer concentrating on the movie, I was focused on the tint.

Will keep you updated about what happened next.

Meddy :(