1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLV-30 owner's...what size Thread for Hoya Filter?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Timh, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi all

Just tested my Hoya HMC FLD filter on my Brothers plv-30, even though he has an MDF screen in ice-storm 5+6 mixed, we coudn't believe how much better the image looks with the filter.
    So you guessed by the post has anyone tried this filter with the plv-30, if so what size is it.

Cheers

2. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Timh

Yes me. I got my Hoya FL-D HMC (Multicoat version) from the US on Saturday. Mine is 49mm but it doesn't thread into the lens. I'm not sure if what looks like a female thread inside the lens rim is in fact a thread? I couldn't see any reference in the manual either so I went for slightly larger and simply taped it with black insulation tape. It fits almost exactly over the lens but with hardly any overlap. What I did was put a fairly tight wrap around the lens (i.e. focus grip) sticky side out and exactly the right width. (Cut into roll all round with Stanley knife). Then put filter in place and put another wrap sticky side down over just the thread of the filter and the first bit of tape. Again took care to make it the right width. 10 minutes later a really neat job that will just slide off and leave no mess on your PJ if you decide not to use it. Only prob. was that it wouldn't go back on 'cos the tape had curled in a bit.

Now that said, I can't say I was all that impressed. In fact at present I prefer original image. More shimmer off armour, water other highlights etc. The only thing I will concede is slightly better blacks. What settings were you using on the PJ?

Crocodile JD

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi Crocodile

Thanks for the info. We found that the improvement in the colours far out weighed the Lumens loss, yes it does cut down on light output quite a lot but the benefits are great IMHO.
    We didn't calibrate the PJ with the filter on, but it looked pretty close, as for the settings, I don't know, apart from that the factory settings are quite a way of, especially Gamma.

I found that with me AE100 that the brightness drop is quite considerable, but you do get used to it after a time.

4. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Timh

Emmmm...... still not convinced. Not sure yet but might consider selling if you're interested?

Crocodile JD

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    My Brother keeps seeing green now :)
    I'm not interested in your filter, but my Brother is.
    Let me know what you decide.

6. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi Timh

I'll let you know after the weekend once I've had a bit more time to play

Crocodile JD

7. Timh

Timh