1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLV-30 limitations

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by AlfaKhan, Aug 20, 2001.

1. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am in no way a AV expert.

From this and other forums I got extremely useful help in order to plan my soon-to-be AV set-up.

I will have a progressive DVD player (Denon 2800 or Toshiba 900) and I am mostly inclined to buy a Sanyo PVL-30.

The VPL-30 Sanyo brochure states the following:

"4:3 REGULAR SCREEN, 16:9 WIDE ASPECT SELECTION. (NOT POSSIBLE WITH 1080i, 1035i, 720p INPUT)"

Exactly, what material will I not be able to see, under this account?

Txs for any replies.

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    AlfaKhan,<br />The PLV30 will work fine with the progressive scan signal from the two players you mention. The signal is referred to as 480p in the Sanyo handbook. The projector will also allow 4:3/16:9 aspect ratio switching with this signal type. This means you can watch 4:3 Letterbox and 16:9 Enhanced material correctly displayed.

720p, 1035i, and 1080i are High Definition TV signals. These are only available from Hi-Def Tuner Boxes if you are luck enough to live in a county with Hi-Def broadcasts. At the moment this is America and Japan only.

"4:3 REGULAR SCREEN, 16:9 WIDE ASPECT SELECTION. (NOT POSSIBLE WITH 1080i, 1035i, 720p INPUT)"

Hi-Def signals are already pre-formatted into 16:9 mode so require no aspect ratio control by the projector/TV.

The Sanyo is a great little projector. Buy with confidence.

Regards

3. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Chris,

Thank you so much for the quick and right to the point reply.