1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLV-30 How Much Better with I-Scan?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Malone, May 12, 2001.

1. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Having originally demo'd a PLV-30 a couple of months ago I seemed to remember a excellent image with vibrant colours and a clear picture.
    To my surprise on my return home the wife was quite enthusiastic about it so a month later I thought it wise to let her demo it with me.
    Well, this time round, unless my eyesight has suddenly got better, the picture seemed generally flawed i.e you could notice lines down the picture it just didn't look the same, the definition was there but there was a lot of "fizzing" in the picture.
    Now of course after a superb picture on the 36PF10 at home the wife after about a minute had made up her mind, I asked her to give it a chance so we tried Stuart Little which is the demo disc I had seen before, again the picture just wasn't the same, the colours were garish and un-natural.
    I asked the chap whether they had made adjustments to the projector he said they hadn't and the picture was as it was when I originally demo'd it.

So where now, im gutted cos i've lost the W.A.F.

Can any other owners put their hands up and say "yes there are lines running down the picture and yes there is "fizzing" on the picture, or could it of been the setup of this demo projector.

Extremely gutted Malone.............

P.S Does this Iscan thingy really improve the picture or would you still see the vertical lines etc....... :confused: :confused:

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: Malone ]

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I also had a couple of demo's of the Sanyo, it seems to be a hit and miss how good it looks, the first time I saw Flubber region 1 this didn't look to good,it looked out of focus, the second time it looked excellant showing Shakespear in love r1, I also saw it showing The Road to El derado, which looked better on the Sanyo than a Seleco crt they had running.
    The Sanyo was connected via s-vhs only playing all r1 material from the Archam dvd player, it would of been nice to see it showing r2 material for a comparison.
    I am also interested how the image would improve with the Iscan.

Tim

p.s It was on an 8ft screen and could see no vertical lines on Shakespear in love.

3. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Trouble for me Tim, if I dont get this sorted soon the £3k saved for it will go on the b***** garden!!
    :eek: :eek:

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    £3000 on a garden :eek: :eek: I know what I would do.

Tim

:confused: still no email tick box

5. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Well maybe not all of it but im sure a lot of it, have you seen these home front programs £90 for this £280 for that etc etc!!

6. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    :confused: whats "still no e-mail tick box?"

7. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I should of said. I know about the tick box, but there is one, thats why I queried your quote.. :rolleyes: :D :D

Oh and yeah I guess it should be about an hour, only been in Derby 5 months, still learning areas, Im from dannn sowfff. :)

Cheers,

Matt (AKA Malone)

8. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my Sanyo PLV-30 for a month now and have used it every day for watching digital TV via S-Video (converted from RGB) and also DVD via component (with a prog. scan player). Image is 100" diagonal.

I have definitely never seen any lines running down the picture or any fizzing, and neither had anyone else who has seen it. DVDs look amazing, and TV is surprisingly good also. No dead pixels either.

One thing I would say is that when focussed I can see the chicken-wire occasionally, so I have defocussed it ever so slightly. No one else who has seen it has noticed this and I now do not see the chicken-wire.

Overall I am very pleased with this projector and would suggest you get another demo. BTW I saw the Sanyo at HiFi Showrooms but it was later stolen. They may have got another one by now though.

[ 13-05-2001: Message edited by: StephenR ]

9. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Thanks chaps, armed with this info i've now got the monumental task of convincing the wife that there is light at the end of the tunnel, wish me luck, (or better still "the force")

Matt

[ 13-05-2001: Message edited by: Malone ]

10. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Malone, when you post a reply there is supposed to be box to tick above show signature, I think it says email when someone replys, so you get an email telling you that someone has answered your topic.
    £2000 for Sanyo plv-30
    £650 for Iscan pro
    £350 for 6ft pull down screen and cables.
    Of course you could budget for a cheap screen and have a couple of hundred for the garden, naaaaa, blow it on the screen, or maybe up your budget and blow £600 on electric screen.
    Maybe you should try and get another demo at a differant dealer, it could look better still, I notice your from Derby, you must be about an hour away from The HI-FI showrooms at Congleton Cheshire, you could phone them and make sure they still have it on demo.
    If you go for one get it checked out for dead pixels before you leave, thats what I would do.

Tim

11. Stever

Stever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Can someone confirm that the Sanyo PLV-30 along with the iScan will solve another of my problems. Namely, that my DVD player does not have component or s-video outputs. I am connected to my TV through a scart connector but I thought that I would probably have to buy another DVD player along with the Sanyo or compromise with composite connection. However, am I right in thinking that I can output from the DVD player to the iscan using composite and then from the iScan to the Sanyo via Component and still get a pretty good quality picture? If so, then I would rather invest in the iScan now for the added advantage of a decent image from my TV and upgrade my DVD player at a later date.

God, every time I pass this web site I end up spending (or planning to spend) more money.

Thanks a lot, Steve

12. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    What DVD player do you have? You might be able to get s-video via the scart socket.

Cheers,
    Liam

13. Stever

Stever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a chipped Phillips DVD710, which I have never been too happy with anyway. Now it's starting to be temperamental about which discs it plays (refuses to play Ali G, although no problems on anyone else's player).

However, I can live with it for the time being. Any idea if I can indeed get S-video through the Scart, and if so, how do I do it?

Thanks,

Steve.

14. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    From the information at this link: http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/50-philips-710-multi-region-dvd-player.html it looks like you can only get composite or RGB out of your DVD player.

From the information on http://www.siimage.com/dvdo/iscanpro.asp it looks like the iscan can take composite, s-video or component, but not RGB.

So, I think your first assumption that you can connect DVD -composite-> iScan -component-> Sanyo is correct.

You should get a noticably better picture with s-video (and slightly better again with component) from a new DVD player

Cheers,
    Liam

[ 16-05-2001: Message edited by: lmccauley ]