Pluto - A planet no more!

Mr.The.Spoon said:
Well, the little odd moon sized planet has lost its status.

I guess they'll get to sell a lot of new astronomy books to schools now.

Surely the Plutonians will lodge an appeal?

AC Milan managed to reverse the decision to relegate them after all.

Mind you the property prices will fall. Who wants the social stigamitism of living somewhere that isn't even a planet?

Seriously, isn't this the biggest none news item ever? I mean, bothered? :suicide:

What's the point I ask myself..:confused: :suicide:

Walt Disney will be turning in his freezer :eek:

loz said:
AC Milan managed to reverse the decision to relegate them after all.

AC Milan were not relegated, just points deducted.

im glad too see the scientists, astronomers and govornment funding are being put to such important use. i mean this is important stuff, unlike working out how to stop our planet from melting in the next 100 years :mad:

it's almost as good as the extra tax they want to charge for 4x4's ect that use more fuel, using more fuel means you are already paying for the privilidge....

well that was the excuse for mega high taxes last time :mad:

sorry for the small rant, but i hope you can see where im coming from :smashin:

mjn said:
AC Milan were not relegated, just points deducted.

No, you're thinking of Earth.

I was referring to Pluto Serie A :D

Bit sad really. It still orbits the sun which should be enough but it crosses neptunes path apparently so it doesnt have the mass for its own orbit i think.

rhino2k said:
im glad too see the scientists, astronomers and govornment funding are being put to such important use. i mean this is important stuff, unlike working out how to stop our planet from melting in the next 100 years :mad:

it's almost as good as the extra tax they want to charge for 4x4's ect that use more fuel, using more fuel means you are already paying for the privilidge....

well that was the excuse for mega high taxes last time :mad:

sorry for the small rant, but i hope you can see where im coming from :smashin:
No, I don't

I hardly think every one of those 2500 scientists were British. And renaming Pluto's status hardly equates to a tax rise

Understanding our solar system helps us in the end. The more we know about other "planets" helps us to learn more about this one

P.S. This thread is not about your 4x4

P.P.S. I'm personally sad :p I'll never call Pluto a semi-planet

LFC_SL said:
I hardly think every one of those 2500 scientists were British. And renaming Pluto's status hardly equates to a tax rise

Well with less tax payers officially in the solar system, Gordon could well decide that it is a good reason to up those taxes a bit more.

LFC_SL said:
P.P.S. I'm personally sad :p I'll never call Pluto a semi-planet

Aye.....raises a glass to the little frozen ball.

drskhaled said:
Bit sad really. It still orbits the sun which should be enough but it crosses neptunes path apparently so it doesnt have the mass for its own orbit i think.
The problem is that a lot of other "bodys" may do that its been a long running argument for years now. This was actually going in the other direction last time I heard about this, think its better to lose pluto then to end up with 100 more planets in out solor system... with the previous rules the moon would have eventually become a planet also.:confused:

Ah well at least my recording of Holts Planet Suit is not uncompleted now.:(

Didn't I read in the papers ages and ages ago about a 10th planet being found as a planet in our solar system? So this would mean that we are back to 9 planets again.

shodan said:
Didn't I read in the papers ages and ages ago about a 10th planet being found as a planet in our solar system? So this would mean that we are back to 9 planets again.

No - it's the new 'planet' that prompted all this. The new planet was bigger than Pluto, but I don't think they wanted it to be called a planet, but you can't justify that unless you demote Pluto. Pluto is actually smaller than the moon.

Pluto will always be a planet to me...The coolest :rolleyes: and most mysterious one, waaaayyyyyy out there, doing it's own thing, part of our solar system, but only just.

It'll be made a planet again in a few years. Either that, or the start to Star Trek Next Gen is totally wrong...

Seriously though, who the hell are we to say what a planet is or isn't. And who the hell are we to be naming the planets in the first place!

To aliens, I bet the Earth is named "Scumhole 7556Y". We've never been visited because we are too busy ****ting ourselves!

This just proves how dull my day is so far.

I've just read that Pluto is only two thirds the size of our moon and that yesterday someone explained that it was relegated because of this other lump of rock being found thats bigger and that one of Plutos moons is half as big as Pluto and they orbit each other, so Pluto has no axis of its own.

Does this matter.......realy.

Kieron said:
To aliens, I bet the Earth is named "Scumhole 7556Y". We've never been visited because we are too busy ****ting ourselves!
That or......
Lister said:
Why does it have to be such a big deal? Why can't it be like, like, human beings are a planetary disease? Like the Earth's got German measles or facial herpes, right? And that's why all of the other planets give us such a wide berth. It's like, "Oh, don't go near Earth! It's got human beings on it, they're contagious!"
:D

quote from BBC site....

Owen Gingerich chaired the IAU's planet definition committee and helped draft an initial proposal raising the number of planets from nine to 12.

..... hmmm interesting.... but more interesting is Owens surname..... is it just me that thinks it's hilarious.... yeh probably!:rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom