1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PlusNet VoIP - PlusTalk

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by DeadKenny, Jun 25, 2005.

1. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    In case any PlusNet users haven't noticed, they've just launched PlusTalk which is a free SIP based VoIP service. They supply X-Lite as the VoIP software.

Only problem is currently you can only communicate with other PlusTalk users... so pretty useless really :D

They do say they are looking to shortly partner with other SIP networks, and also looking at PSTN and mobile phone calls, which they'd obviously charge for. No mention of getting a real phone number but they have said they're looking into ways for people to call you from PSTN and mobile phones.

In the process of looking at this (I've never looked into VoIP before), I came across Sipgate and have to say I'm impressed, at the very least because I get a geographic phone number for free :smashin:.

Now I just need a reason to use it as I don't really make many outgoing calls :D. If I could ditch BT entirely it would be of use, but I need the BT line for PlusNet sadly :(.

2. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Good call!

I am a plusnet user and did not notice that!

Shame about the call limtations....

I just started with sipgate and I am well impressed - much beter than BT who I was previously using.

DJ

3. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too on Plus Net. Do they have any hardware to go with it or is it just the PC audio?

4. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just PC audio it seems. However in theory any SIP handset should work.

5. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    ...I would go buy a Cisco ATA186 - great SIP box and many on Ebay at great prices.

Dont be put off if it needs a firmware update... its easily done...

D