Plusnet fibre upgrade - Router/Modem options

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by MacReady, Feb 13, 2014.

1. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Our Plusnet broadband is being upgraded on the 19th Feb to Fibre (which was installed on our street almost two Years ago and has only just become available to residents :rolleyes:) and I have a couple fo questions I hope someone can help me with.

Firstly, I have read some reviews of the Technicolour TG582n that is supplied by Plusnet and that it is not that great with it's wirless performance. We have quite a few wireless devices in the house, and it's a three storey house, so I am considering buying a replacement router in preparation but am a bit confused as to what I actually need?
    Do I need to buy a combined modem router or just a router......Is it correct that a BT Openreach engineer will do the install and install the modem (as some sources seem to suggest) and then fit the supplied Technicolour router, or is the Technicolour router a combined model that will be installed on the day?

So, is it worth replacing the Technicolour and, if so, do I have to buy a combine modem/router or just a router and what does anyone recommend as a replacement in the £50-£100 price bracket?

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,725
    You read endless reports "on the Internet" from (lay) people who "blame the router" for every evil under the sun, especially wi-fi - notice no-one ever blames the wi-fi iSomething/Mac/Laptop (whatever) in their hands - such devices are presumed to implement wi-fi perfectly and give off 2 terawatts of transmit power (I'm being facetious of course,) - oh no, all wi-fi ills are instantly attributed to the "router." Unfortunately it's nowhere near that simple, so take such opinions about this and that router having "rubbish wi-fi" with huge sacks of salt.

I doubt you'll get the router you cite as fibre broadband is usually delivered using VDSL and the TG582n (it says here) is "only" an ADSL router.

I think you'd be best advised to not get into winding yourself up about it before the installation occurs: Let the engineers install whatever they are going to install, try it for a month then "fix" any problems subsequently. Doubtless PlusNet can advise you what routers can be used with their service.

That said, a three storey house could be a big ask (though no one can be sure without trying it.) If it is a problem, rather than looking for some replacement "uber-router" with twice the power of everyone else's (they don't exist,) by far the best way to fix wi-fi coverage and/or performance issues it to create a "cellular" infrastructure consisting of multiple coverage hotspots using outpost Access Points cabled back to your main router, preferably using "proper" ethernet networks, or if domestic harmony does not permit, then using something like HomePlugs to piggy back onto the domestic mains. This gets discussed frequently in the "Networking and NAS" forum where there are some FAQ's on the subject - you could do worse than look there.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  3. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +828
    The above is true, and you probably will want to opt for homeplugs or additional access point to boost the Wifi signal around your home anyway -- regardless of the uber powerful router.

I'm in the process of joining Plusnet and have accepted the £5.99 router. But i'll be going for the Asus RT-AC66U for the added functionality (dual band, 6 networks, USB storage, QoS and the other million features it has).

4. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Thanks both for the replies:thumbsup:

The installation was yesterday so we are all up and running on Plusnet fibre now. We did indeed get the Technicolour TG582n supplied in conjunction with the BT Openreach modem that was installed by the BT engineer at the same time.

It all works well enough and, via CAT5 to the new router we are getting speeds of around 76Mbps....via wireless we get about 40Mbps in the same room, 30Mbps the next floor up and around 20Mbps on the top floor (this is in a new build three storey...so cardboard walls and floors essentially;) ). I am going to invest in homeplugs for the top floor at least (even though the 20mbps is a respectable speed, it seems quite flakey when I tried to watch Netflix on the iPad up there....not able to pull through all menus and buffering from time to time. Didn't have these issues with the ADSL Netgear we were using previously on an 8Mbps connection).

It can't seem to stream music via AirPlay from my iPhone to my Yamaha amp anymore though. The iPhone see's the amp in the Airplay devices and I select it but, as soon as I try to play anything it just drops the connection and goes back to the Airplay option. The amp is connected via CTA5 to the new router.

I have been looking at the Asus AC66U as well but don't think I can stretch that far at the moment so think I am going to replace the Technicolour with the AC56U instead.