1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plus or Ultra?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Thunder, May 12, 2004.

1. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Ok, have decided to take the plunge and get an SVS as my little REL keeps bottoming out. Do I go for the PB2 plus or ULtra? Looks are not an issue as I have a dedicated room 5m by 3.5m, Also can anyone tell me roughly what the difference in import tax and delivery charges would be between the two? Have already made a super heavy duty isolation platform for it from concrete acoustic tiles and MDF as my AV room is upstairs. Any answers, advice and or comments would be appreciated.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The difference in cost between the two is only £30 but shipping mat be more for the box sub as it is probably slightly bigger.

If you assume that it would cost an extra £50 to ship the box sub the extra cost including duties and Vat would be no more than £100

Erik at SVS would be able to give you a precise quote for shipping bothe items.

3. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    If it helps, I just bought a 20-39PC+ and its bloody amazing! I too had a Strata III and it was bottoming out regularly in a room not too dissimilar to yours in size.

I paid $825 for the sub, which is about £470
    Delivery door to door (via Heathrow) was $130, about £75
    I then paid £150 to Bax in the UK for duty and VAT.
    Total cost: £695

4. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Ian, i meant the PB2plus versus PB2Ultra mate not the PC Ultra. Thanks for the advice Chris.

5. simonthepieman

simonthepieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thunder
    You can see my blurb on another thread "the wait begins ordered pb2"

I am getting used to my pb2 a little more now still setting up to do ,but mostly sorted
    (using a bfd which is invaluable)
    It is now set at a higher volume approx 2.5 lines (slightly higher than orginal post)
    It really is superb,much deeper , more powerful,tighter than my previous rel storm3

The darla Fish Tank is amazing at -18 db (i never go louder than -18) the whole
    room appers to shake!!!

I dont know full costs yet waiting for card bill.
    But bax charged £151.00 duty vat etc

Weather the ultra is better i don't know, but as its larger it would not fit my space
    and why spend the extra (unless you need that finish) I have yet to here a better
    bass sound In the various systems i've listened to.

It is different sound i suppose "effortless " is a good description.
    See avs forum for futher pb2 ultra comparisoms

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Assuming that the shipping costs are about the same the PB Ultra will cost about £800 more than the PB2 Plus including all taxes.

I went from a Rel Storm III to an SVS 20-39 PC Plus and was astounded at the amount and quality of bass on offer that I had been missing before.

Assuming that you don't have any room problems you should be even more astounded by upgrading from the REL below mine to an SVS above mine and believe me the difference is staggering.

Judging by the reports that I have read here the PB2 Plus is a top class sub which compares to other subs bought via normal retail channels at many times the price, but above that level the law of dimishing returns will set in.

The PB2 Ultra is bigger, has a better finish, twin Ultra drivers and a 1,000 amp with built in parametric equalisation and in an ordinary sized British room will probably sound better towards reference level but at normal listening levels I would guess that you would be hard puished to tell the difference.

Whether it is worth £800 more will vary from person to person and only you can decide whether it is worth £800 more of your money.

If you do get one though, can I come round for a listen please :D

7. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I think I will go for the plus and save 800 quid as I dont need the posh wood finish and I dont need the EQ as I have a AV32R DP with TMREQ.

8. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Simon, what kit are you using with it? have you applied any type of EQ? what size is your room? and where have you placed it. Many Thanks.

9. simonthepieman

simonthepieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Room size 22 foot long approx 10 foot wide and 10 foot high

Yes i use a bfd (feedback destroyer see other threads on bfd) I'm using
    4 filters at present, 3 of them concentrated at the lower,less than 30hz region to try
    and produce a nice flat response graph but it still does curve towards the very low
    end. (The bfd is the box which applies the EQ
    My processor is one of the latest spec single chip Tag av32r 7.1
    I then use a mixture of passive ATC and active (centre) speakers,kef and tannoy
    rears,with a Chord Power amp.
    My room is long and thin, and the sub sits (just fits) between a Mana rack with
    centre speaker on and the Right hand side ATC stand mounted 20, so it is close
    to a corner with the ports facing the right hand side wall