Plumbing / Washing machine advice

Veni Vidi Vici

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any advice appreciated. I have an integrated washing machine with a hot and cold feed but I need to replace it. It seems all the new integrated washing machines only have a cold feed. Do I have to get the hot feed capped off or can I just turn it off using the on/off switch on the pipe? If it needs capping off is that an easy thing to do?

Id cap it off for sure. You can get the cap to fit in most plumbing \ diy shops. I doubt very much the on/ off switch would be sufficient to stop there being drips. Sometimes the on \ off switch might not even work due to the fact its been inactive for so long. You may even consider turning your water supply off whilst you do the job.

I've left my hot feed uncapped for nearly five years now and it's been fine...not as much as one drop has come out of it.

Cap it. Even if you have to buy some PTFE tape as well it won't cost more than a couple of quid.

BSP Blank Nut ¾"

PTFE Tape

I've left my hot feed uncapped for nearly five years now and it's been fine...not as much as one drop has come out of it.
Just because uncle Bert started smoking 40 a day aged 10 & lived to be 100 doesn't mean we should all do it. ;)

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance but does capping it off stop water from ever coming through that pipe or is it literally just a cap over the end to stop leaks? Does it just screw on, something a novice DIYer can do or a job for a plumber?

PTFE tape around the thread is one way to achieve a water right seal but these washing machine valves are designed to be sealed via the flange, so a ¾" washer would be a good idea.

I wouldn't hesitate leaving one uncapped at my place. Just take the handle off the valve so that it needs a tool to open the valve up which saves it getting knocked.

It's a simple job for anyone to do. Provided the 15mm nut on the other side doesn't start leaking, you'll be fine. ;)

Does it just screw on, something a novice DIYer can do
Yes it just screws on. Of course Wahreo is right in that the hose taps are designed to seal with a washer. So when you come to replace you can use one from inside one of the old hoses if it's in good condition but a new one would be better. PTFE tape around the thread would add a belt to the braces & probably overkill.

Without suggesting what you should do, when we found we no longer needed a hot feed 10 years ago, I turned the hot feed off at the valve and took the hose off. It didn't leak then and it doesn't today as it hasn't been fiddled with since, and it's a low pressure circuit :)

Similarly I have several central heating drainage points around the hose and they aren't capped off either.

When we had to disconnect our washing machine due to us moving house I found the on \ off switch had seized up and in my trying to switch it off at that point the flimsy plastic lever broke off, there was a screw \ bolt head underneath but that wouldnt budge, I didnt want to use herculean strength on it so I nipped out to a plumbing shop bought the cap for a quid or two and using the washer from the machine capped it off after I'd turned the water off from outside. It gave me peace of mind knowing it was permanently capped instead of just switched off. I dont think those switches are designed for that purpose, merely a temporary solution.

They are designed for occasional use. If they are off they will stay that way :)

Same here. Been living in our house for 7years and not got ours capped off. Even used it a few times for hose pipe. Surprised we had one as its a gravity fed system.

Tip I got for sized bolts/screws is to hit them with a hammer, maybe add a bit of wd40 and it will break the bond and allow things to turn.

I accept no responsibility for a flooded kitchen!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom