Plumbing opinion on reduced shower pressure

balidey

Distinguished Member
OK, bit of a back story to this...
Old shower tray in our en-suite was cracked and leaking. Tiles were horrible and the old mixer shower controls were limescaled up. So I took the whole lot out and replaced with new items. Gravity fed from hot and cold tanks, no pump, just standard mixer shower.
For an amateur DIY-er I made quite a good job if I do say so myself.

But there is a problem. As the new shower had to have the pipe centres at 150mm and the old ones were much wider, rather than using two elbows per pipe to reduce it I instead bought two flexible pipes (tap connectors) to reduce the centres.
I then finished off the tiling, sealing, shower door etc.
On first try of the shower the pressure is severely reduced. Its usable, but compared to our old shower its not as good.
This could be down to two things, either the new shower is more restrictive than the old one. Or the two flexible pipes are to blame for the restriction.

So, two options...

1: Fit a shower pump. Cost will be approx. £150 for new pump, £50 ish for 2nd hand. I can fit in the loft, but due to the pipe positions, approx. 3m apart, I will have to fit the pump and have long runs of pipe from the feeds, to the pump then back to the shower location.

2: When I fitted the shower in I drilled 4 small pilot holes through the partition wall into the bedroom so that in case of emergency rather than ripping the tiling and shower off I could use my rotozip and cutter to remove a panel on the other side of the wall where the shower is mounted. So I could do this now, remove the plasterboard panel, remove the flexis and redo it properly with 15mm compression elbows. Cost will be a few quid, and the bedroom is due to be decorated anyway, so the panel I cut out can be dealt with. But doing it will be a right pain the arse.

So, I am now in a position of having two options, neither is exactly easy, but both are do-able. Just wondered which you guys would go for.

And don't let this sway the decision, but a shower pump does sound like a nice option as I guess it will make the new shower out perform the old one anyway.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

the whistler

just a thought, but is your new shower suitable for gravity. Many mixer showers are designed for combi boilers and have different pressure ratings so may not work ok on gravity systems.

balidey

Distinguished Member
shoestring25 - yes I too suspect that is the main problem.
Penski - no, old shower is gone now and also the only way I can connect it up is by removing the tiling.
the whistler - shower is OK for all types of system and pressures. I did check this before hand.

So I think the answer is either fit a pump or redo the flexi with proper elbows. And this is the decision I am struggling with, which is the lesser of two evils.

Bobdk

A pump requires power to run it and maintenance over the years. I would replace the pipes. You could also try your old shower head on the new setup to see if that is reducing the flow?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom