Plumbing in my Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by capelink, Sep 12, 2007.

1. capelink

capelink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm a new subscriber to avforums but have visited it for years getting the low down on all the AV kit I've bought. I really value other AVForum member opinions so I'd appreciate trying to give me a bit of help in hooking all my kit together and to my new Plasma that is arriving next week.

If there is a better area to post this in then please tell me but I don't want to double-post all over the forum for the sake of it.

Right, TV.. 1080p LG plasma. It has got 2 HDMI (1080p/24 support), 1 x RGB (1920x1080/60 support so it says), 1 x component and what they call a Digital optical out but the exact features of that connection I'm a bit in the dark about - can't find exactly what it outputs (does it strip the Digital audio from the HDMI input streams and feed them back to an amp or does it just output from the internal freeview tuner. Perhaps someone could put me right on that.

Other kit I ned to connect is :-

Xbox360 - Component video and Optical
    PS3 - HDMI and optical
    Sky HD - HDMI and optical
    Media PC - DVI and optical (could use RGB via DVI/RGB adapter)

The AV amp for all this is a cheap-ish Yamaha that has 3 x component inputs, 1 x component output, 3 x optical inputs and NO HDMI.

On the face of it, perhaps I could use all the video connections (PC running RGB) direct to the TV. However I'm short on optical connections as I'd need 4 and only got 3. I have got a £5 toslink manual switcher in reserve but it's all a bit clunky to be honest and is a last option. Also, what will the PC video be like at 1080p resolution over RGB ... worse than over a DVI to HDMI cable ?

One option I was thinking about all delends on what this optical out port on the TV does. Is it possible that I could run the SKYHD and PS3 just over HDMI direct to the TV and connect the optical out on the TV back into one of the optical inputs on the Amp. for the Dolby stream striped out by the TV ? Perhaps I could get a simple HDMI switch box in that case and feed SKYHD/PS3/PC (via DVI-HDMI cable it currently uses) - loop back the audio from the PS3 and SKYHD through the TV optical out into the Amp, the other 2 optical amp ports can be for the PC and xbox360 audio direct.

Will this digital audio output from the TV, if it even works like I think it might, cause lip-sync issues ? You can adjust these on Sky, perhaps on the PC but I've no idea on the PS3.

One solution could be to buy one of those HDMI/Toslink all-in-one switch boxes but they are £200 and it's going to get just too much money (with all the cables I need too). I can handle £30 on a 3-way HDMI switcher.

Well - that's where I'm at. I've just got my fingers crossed that I can get a bit of help before forking out on lots of different cables, converters and switchers and doing the (expensive) trial and error method. I know lots of people on here will have similar setups so I'm all ears.

Your help is very, very much appreciated.

Cheers !

:thumbsup:

2. vinz420

vinz420

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Not to be rude but I think the best suggestion I can give you is to invest in a better amp than you currently have. In that way, you will be able to take advantage of the latest available sound formats (DD+, dts-HD, Dolby TrueHD), have more available connections (including HDMI) and will definitely make a whole lot of difference in your AV experience.

Depending on your budget, I've used both these AV receivers before and would highly recommend them for a medium sized room (15 ft x 14ft). Also, make sure you pair them with some decent loudspeakers as otherwise, you won't get much out of the receiver:

1.) Denon 1707 around £220
    - Very good for films. Bass management could be better but handles it well all the same. Excellent build quality.

2.) Sony STR-DA1200ES around £330
    - Very punchy sound. Great sound reproduction, especially on stereo (music etc). 1 x HDMI in / 2 x HDMI out. Loads of optical, coaxial and stereo inputs.

I've also had a Cambridge Audio 540R (?) but didn't get a chance to test it much as it broke down within 24 hours so had it refunded. Aside from that, I think you will just waste money and space (valuable for good air flow) so investing on a new receiver is definitely a good thing. Go on, treat yourself and spend your bling. :devil:

3. mstodge

mstodge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Vinz is right,

I have the Sony 5200ES AMP, i plug all my stuff into that(have a look at Signature at bottom) and have just one HDMI lead going into the tv as the amp upscales everything from the amp.

Thanks
    Mark.

4. KjK

KjK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    To meat your connection needs it would prob need a new AMP but I doubt for the reason of sound.

Im sure someone will tell me if im wrong If you have a large living area great, but in the small average size living rooms in this country would one really notice any difference in the new HD sound formats over the older plain 5.1 DD & DTS.

Its not like jumping from Dolby surround to Dolby Digital 5.1, but just an enhanced version of what we already had.

If anyone can say the difference is a wow factor then please do, I may go out & get a new AMP myself.

The reason I say all of this is I have put a good HT system in a room that can hold over 100 people and the sound was amazing, put that same system in a 4.5x4.5 living room & it sounds not much better than a cheap system.

Rgs

5. vinz420

vinz420

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Very true. But again, most of the newer amps can reproduce better sound than some of the older amps. What I'm trying to say is that playing :dts: on every amp won't sound all the same.

I think a better way of sayig it is you need a better amp (not necessarily newer) in order to take advantage of your new gadgets (PS3, Xbox 360 etc).

6. capelink

capelink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys.

Been looking at the Denon 1707 as recommended. I saw it in Weymouth HiFi (an authorised Denon Retailer) for £179.00 inc P+P. Not bad for what it is. I did see that the 1708 is comming out shortly, although it doesn't get any press on Denon's UK website. Apparently it supports HDMI and upscales video sources to 1080p. Not too bothered about that feature as the PS3 does DVD upscaling to 1080p now. I'll give it some serious thought.

Still really curious as to what that Digical Optical out port exactly does. Perhaps I'll just have to wait and find out.

Cheers

:smashin: