Plumber...??

a l e x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently ripping out my kitchen and have come to the hob. Was going to call a plumber out to remove but found what I assume is an isolator.... Am I right in thinking I just turn this and it'll stop the gas? Or am I going to kill myself... I turned it and can't hear any gas so I'm assuming it's ok...?!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    737.8 KB · Views: 197
Sure is. If you turn it a little, you will probably hear a hiss. Or if it is still connected, light a ring and turn the lever. If it goes out, bobs your uncle.

What you can't tell is whether that old tap is leaky, so yes, you could be killing yourself.

I'll say it. Get a fully qualified, paid-up plumber out immediately.

There can be no more posts :)

What you can't tell is whether that old tap is leaky, so yes, you could be killing yourself.

That is a possibility of course. You can use some soapy water to see if there are any signs of leaks though. I wouldn't rely on it permanently, but short term, it would realistically need quite a leak to cause an issue. Nothing that opening a door occasionally wouldn't diffuse anyway.

But you can't fight against someone who says do the right thing, so you are probably wise to disregard my 'fudge'. :)

New thought... Although a qualified plumber probably fitted it in the first place and checked it. So in some respects it is 'certified'. All plumbing ages, so which bits do you trust and which do you not?

We do have a certain moral obligation to try and keep our members alive :)

We do have a certain moral obligation to try and keep our members alive :)

Don't worry, it probably won't impact too much on the web hits. :)

As I suggest, if there can be no advice except call in an expert, it should be on a blacklist of subjects. Otherwise it is a rather pointless exercise.

As I suggest, if there can be no advice except call in an expert, it should be on a blacklist of subjects. Otherwise it is a rather pointless exercise.

See post after yours... :rolleyes:

See what I mean? :D

See post after yours... :rolleyes:

See what I mean? :D

Only a matter of time :D

I'd say there are three subjects that effectively cannot be discussed - electrical, gas and medical. Probably time to have a sticky to explain why not, so it just doesn't crop up.

Then it's just a case of 'it can't be discussed'.

It really doesn't matter if you are qualified, you are not in front of the item being discussed, so if it is taken to be advice, then there will be blame.

It's rather sad that it can't remain a discussion, but I completely understand.

I'd say there are three subjects that effectively cannot be discussed - electrical, gas and medical.

Not strictly true. Medical diagnosis or suggested treatments are a no-no, but we have plenty of threads discussing ailments and they can be very supportive. Similarly electrical advice so long as it doesn't stray into Part P work, and generally with the caveat if you aren't sure get a pro in. This gas discussion is similarly OK, but the official line has to be if you aren't sure get a Gas fitter in. IIRC, The only gas work you are supposed to do yourself in a house is to unplug and replug a gas cooker fitted with a bayonet plug fitting flexible pipe.

Not strictly true. Medical diagnosis or suggested treatments are a no-no, but we have plenty of threads discussing ailments and they can be very supportive. Similarly electrical advice so long as it doesn't stray into Part P work, and generally with the caveat if you aren't sure get a pro in. This gas discussion is similarly OK, but the official line has to be if you aren't sure get a Gas fitter in. IIRC, The only gas work you are supposed to do yourself in a house is to unplug and replug a gas cooker fitted with a bayonet plug fitting flexible pipe.

Thank you for taking the time to explain IG. I'm rather glad I'm not moderating as this seems to be a challenge.

Strangely, in this instance, it is turning a service valve, which is surely the point of one :D

Thanks all. Disconnected it and couldn't hear or smell gas so pretty sure it's fine. However... The plumber is coming on Monday to disconnect the sink and the water softener so I did what I needed to, got the cupboards around it and the worktop out then connected it back up just to be safe.

Looks like a bomb has hit the place... A hob on the floor, wires hanging from walls and the ceiling and holes everywhere... Roll on next week and it'll all be done!

Thanks all. Disconnected it and couldn't hear or smell gas so pretty sure it's fine. However... The plumber is coming on Monday to disconnect the sink and the water softener so I did what I needed to, got the cupboards around it and the worktop out then connected it back up just to be safe.

Looks like a bomb has hit the place... A hob on the floor, wires hanging from walls and the ceiling and holes everywhere... Roll on next week and it'll all be done!

It has to get worse before it gets better!

Our consumer unit was hanging from the ceiling for a spell. Wasn't supposed to, but the wall it was attached to collapsed during the underpinning :D

Now I have a properly fitted unit and it feels good!

if you need to qualify to do a job with a recognised qualification always use the qualified person Safety always must come first.

if you need to qualify to do a job with a recognised qualification always use the qualified person Safety always must come first.

Just catching up on Peep Show.

Which one do you think would have said the same thing?

peep-show-s3-20090618172600_625x352.jpg

IIRC, The only gas work you are supposed to do yourself in a house is to unplug and replug a gas cooker fitted with a bayonet plug fitting flexible pipe.

I don't think you are even allowed to do that, doesn't it have to be a full copper pipe to the cooker inlet?

it's NOT a plumber you need,it's a GAS SAFE engineer you NEED...

If it's not going to be used for some time, get the tap taken away and the pipe capped off.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom