• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

plugs

snig300

Established Member
got a pair of B&Ws 686s but the plugs seem too big for them? I got the airlok ones,got them about 3/4 in but would it be better sound wise to either change them to ones that go all the way in or just not use plugs at all?seems abit daft to go to the expense of buying them not to have them fit correcty!

Medrep1

Established Member
If you can get them to fit all the way into the terminal,then this would be best, although they dont always fit all the way in as they should :mad:

The only thing to be cautious of is if any of the speaker terminal is exposed, i.e. the gold/silver tip of the plug, then sometimes the signal could ark bewteen the other terminal, and potentially cause some form of signal interference.

Whatever portion of the plug is exposed, just wrap it with some insulation tape to prevent this from happening.

Using bare wire is probably the best connection, but oxidisation will set in faster and result in a potentially poorer contact in the long run, particularly if you have silver speaker wire.

As long as there is a good tight contact, and nothing is exposed, all's good:smashin:

Hope this helps:)

TheRtHonorable

Standard Member
then sometimes the signal could ark bewteen the other terminal, and potentially cause some form of signal interference.

The speaker terminals themselves are bare metal anyway, and besides, it would take a massive current to arc this far, which would cause far more than just interference.

I'm sure your plugs are fine as they are.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom