• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

plugging iphone into car stereo?

CJSIMPSON

I have a mazda 6 and there is a media button on the stereo and a normal headphone jack plug socket labelled aux in the centre console near the handbrake. I assume this is for plugging an mp3 player in, my question is this:

What cable do i need for this? will a normal jack plug to jack plug lead do or do i need a proper iphone cable to jack plug?

Also will i be able to control the iphone at all from the stereo or not?

RobM

Distinguished Member
3.5mm jack to 3.5mm jack, male to male :)

Basically, a headphone socket with a male socket at each end. You plug it into the iPhone's headphone socket (adaptor may be required as the socket is recessed) and you plug the other end into the cars socket. Then you can play music on the iPhone as normal and your car stereo acts as a giant set of headphones.

All control of the music is done via the iPhone. You'll be able to control the volume from the head unit in the car, but that's about it and even that will be dependent on the volume you set the iPhone to :)

tomblandford

Standard Member

CJSIMPSON

thanks for that, I thought i only needed a 3.5mm cable but wasnt sure.

LLcoolDave

while were roughly on the same subject!!
Anybody know were I can locate a decent Iphone to 3.5mm jack adaptor (cus I cant get my seinheissers in the dammed iphone!) ive looked at the ones on ebay,but is there any branded/gold/quality ones about?? cheers

WhiteHartMart

Distinguished Member
I bought a Griffin one off ebay for about £7 I think - you can also get them at Carphone Warhouse I think - I read a few reviews on them before I bought it and it seemed to have good feedback across the board :thumbsup:

jumpedupmofo

Standard Member
while were roughly on the same subject!!
Anybody know were I can locate a decent Iphone to 3.5mm jack adaptor (cus I cant get my seinheissers in the dammed iphone!) ive looked at the ones on ebay,but is there any branded/gold/quality ones about?? cheers

£2.90 with delivery off ebay from hong kong, works just the same as the one they sell at o2 shop for £7

Search iPod earphone connector

nathan franklin

Standard Member
i used a belkin charger with audio out. this is better quality than the headphone out solution and also chargers your iphone. the volume is controlled from the car stereo. the tracks are controlled by the phone. i have used this in ford and bmw. sounds better than the cars cd player and cost 15 pounds from comet or currys

bishbashboshdj

Has anyone found a way of doing it into an old style honda civic, without replacing the head unit?

Im sure there must be a way throu the cd changer input as there is no aux input on it.

swanseahammer

Standard Member
Has anyone found a way of doing it into an old style honda civic, without replacing the head unit?

Im sure there must be a way throu the cd changer input as there is no aux input on it.
I've got the Dension Ice Link Ipod Car kit from Halfords in my 2005 CRV - should work with all Hondas - it sees your ipod as a Cd Changer. Not sure if it will work on the iphone but it works with all other ipods with docks including the touch.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom