1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plug/jack cable issues - please advise!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by DrStein99, Jan 25, 2005.

1. DrStein99

DrStein99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am developing an application for use in street and field (like motorcycling, hang-gliding, etc....)

Part of what I am finding, is that the JACKS for most all video recording equipment are soldered directly to the circuit board. Also, since they are round "phono" type, they revolve and cause signal degredation on moving.

I am interested in replacing this, with a jack mounted to the plastic surface, and wires run to the circuit board. This way it will not damage the circuit board if someone mis-uses the jack, or possibly I can use rubber grometing and spring releases to absorb the force in motion.

I want to get rid of the "phono" jack and use something like what cell-phones use, which is held by plastic tension-click force, and straight or flat pin connectors. This jack/plug setup will help my application to be more reliable, and provide a better way to secure a stable image and sound recording.

Can someone please advise me on some solutions for micro jacks and plugs? I've been to MOLEX and the terminology goes beyond my understanding. I'm sure there are other sites or manufacturers that make video/audio jacking/plugs that aren't phono I could adapt for my use.

Thank you.

2. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Try BNC sockets and plugs - much more robust.

3. DrStein99

DrStein99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will research that. Thanks for the advice! However, I suppose I failed to mention.

I need 3-4 conductor plugs and jacks. This is video, audio l/r and grounding feeds. The standard BNC style I see is large like cable-tv size or cb-antenna, and will not fit the small plastics I am using.

-------------
    DrStein99