1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plug in cards for the Pioneer´s

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by keyser, Nov 10, 2002.

1. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone got or seen a Pioneer plasma with the plug in cards from key digital (www.keydigital.com)?
    If so, how much did the picture improve?

These cards don´t do anything that the Pioneer(it does scaling/deinterlacing/3-2 and 2-2 pulldown?) doesn´t also do, just supposed to do it better, right?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    Keyser,

The HD card from Key Digital will not be available until the new year. I saw a working prototype de-interlacing and scaling 1080i material at CEDIA USA a month or so ago. It was not possible to make any critical comments at that time.

I would expect it to show a major improvement in image quality when it is out. I am the UK distributor and I hope to be putting on some retailers early in the year when their are units available. I'm sure at that point you'll get plenty of comments.

Now I need to go buy a damn plasma for the house!!!!oh well!

Gordon

3. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gordon,

This card obviously does not do DCDi, but does it soften the chroma bug, like the Faroudja does?

Wouldn´t that be the ideal board, one that could do DCDi and soften the chroma bug and then you could just buy an interlaced DVD player and have it SDI modded. Then you would have a DCDi image with a softened chroma bug and fewer D/A steps. It´s hardly rocket science is it, and the new FLI2300 doesn´t cost a kidney does it, so why is there no such board available??:confused:

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    Keyser,

You are assuming that the SAGE chipset's DCDi offers the highest performance de-interlacing. It might make de-interlacing VIDEO source material easier on the eye than some other solutions ( and even then I prefer detail to softening out eh jaggies) but I have yet to see a sage based solution that I would want to own. The NRS is the closest so far though.

There are many other solutions available. Some may even outperform the dcdi processing of the sage chip. TAW, KEY DIGITAL, Silicon Image, Terranex, Snell and Wilcox all have devices or are about to have devices that may prove superior in every respect. We have to wait and see what they can come up with though before making final comment The spec of a unit and what bits are inside do not always give you a represntative idea of the end performance.

Gordon

5. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keyser,

As far as I understand the Pioneer PDA-5002 card doesn't do proper 2-2 pulldown - only 3-2 (called Purecinema by Pioneer).

I can testify that Purecinema looks better than interlaced NTSC as I got to watch a Region 1 disk for the 1st time today (Shrek) - certainly less jaggies/ shimmering, but it doesn't look too bad to start with.

By the way, I'm very happy with the screen now AND with the knowledge that I can improve the picture later if I want to.:D

Phil

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    Gordon

Of course I'll need to deliver a 43" and a 50" as they have different resolutions so you will want both - wont you!!!

Or how about you loan me a couple of boards and I'll loan you a display - No wait I loose out on that deal!!!

Joe

7. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    guys,

1.Do you think that the keydigital card may do better than the faroudja DCDi, TrueLife(both of which are to improve the pq noticably) and chroma cleaning?

2.Does the card have any other fancy pq features besides scaling, deinterlacing and pulldown(If not then the Faroudja must do better, I didn´t really understand the specs on the keydigital homepage) or picture in picture?

3.Does the card come all at extra cost or can you skip something as standard on the Pio and have the keydigital card instead?

4.With this card.. isn´t then a SDI modded DVD player the way to go?

5.Is it not a problem that when you get a interlaced player, they are usually not the best quality, because companies have the players with the best build quality also progressve scan??

6.Are the elite models in the usa better than the mxe here and will they come anytime to europe?

7.Can I watch TV without buying the plasma tuner (which costs about 800pounds here) by looping the RF plug through my VCR, but I will then loose the Teletext, right?

Greatfull for all help!!!

8. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Isn´t the dcdi and truelife technology (and the chroma softening), pretty impressive?

9. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The local Pioneer dealer is gonna get a 43" plasma next week, can´t waite to check it out. If the black levels satisy me then I just might go for one.

Joe, Gordon.. anyone, could you help me out with my previous questions?