Answered PLS recommend me a TV for living room - budget £2.5k

Smartdevil

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Need some recommendation from fellow forum users please.

I am looking to get a new TV for living room. The room is well lit and has 2 windows. The idea is to put the TV on the wall. Below are some of the details of size,usage etc.

Size : 65 - 75 inch
Budget : £2.5k
Main use: Xbox one X gaming, Netflix, Movies, UHD content

Would appreciate some recommendations please.

Thanks

Mods.... If this is in the wrong section than please feel free to move it..

There you go.
You’ll have more luck in here :smashin:

Sony 75X900F > Vizio P series 75" > Samsung 75NU8000

You can't compare 65" TVs to 75" really, you should decide whether you want to go bigger or have better HDR performance from a smaller TV like an OLED or Samsung Q9FN/Q8FN.

Thanks Mod and Dodgexander.

I am inclined toward OLED but because of the layout & brightness in the room , I am just not sure whether to go for 65" OLED or 75"LED /QLED

@Dodgexander ... Going through you guides now to see if it gives me clarity on things :)

Contrary to much misinformation online OLEDs don't do badly in brighter environments. The technology itself helps with reflections, the TVs themselves all have very good anti reflection filters and they get 2-3 times brighter than older LCD TVs did. If you do not have problems with brightness with an older TV then you won't have issues with an OLED.

Its only if you trigger ABL or you wish to use HDR during the day that you may be better with an LCD. There has also been signs that direct sunlight can also bring out issues with them, but really you shouldn't have any TV panel in direct sunlight anyway.

There are many reasons you may want to go for a Samsung model though, you'll get variable frame rate support on your Xbox and they are the only manufacturer to also enable motion interpolation during gaming without adding extra input lag. That alone makes them good choices.

So really, I would not blame you downsizing to 65" to get that together to get much better HDR performance with the Q9FN vs the Sony X900F..or if you go for the Q8FN marginally better.

In that case, i am might be looking to narrow it down to the models below.

LG OLED65C8PLA or Sony BRAVIA KD65AF8 or Samsung QE65Q9FN or Samsung QE75Q8DN.

Is there any other model i should be looking at?

I personally would never buy another OLED if I used the TV for gaming. I have the Fortnite health bar burned into my LG now. Nothing I could’ve done to prevent it other than not allow my son to play Fortnite, which isn’t really practical.

I personally would never buy another OLED if I used the TV for gaming. I have the Fortnite health bar burned into my LG now. Nothing I could’ve done to prevent it other than not allow my son to play Fortnite, which isn’t really practical.
I thought the OLED TVs do a cleanup routine after 4-5 hours to usage to remove screen burn..

I thought the OLED TVs do a cleanup routine after 4-5 hours to usage to remove screen burn..

No. Only do this once the tv is turned off, which is why you shouldn’t turn them off at the socket.

That’s retention, not burn. Burn is permanent. I’ve been running my PS4 with much reduced brightness and in game mode. Was absolutely fine for ages, then after about two years.... sudden screen burn. No matter how careful you are - if you play a particular game more than others, and that game has a static HUD, you’ll be in trouble.

That’s retention, not burn. Burn is permanent. I’ve been running my PS4 with much reduced brightness and in game mode. Was absolutely fine for ages, then after about two years.... sudden screen burn. No matter how careful you are - if you play a particular game more than others, and that game has a static HUD, you’ll be in trouble.
Well that rules out OLED then as I play division 2 and kids play garden warfare etc a lot with HUD display.

So now the question is which LED/ QLED?. I am looking to buy at end of May so might get some deals on 2018 models.

On 75" side, These model are within the price range.

Samsung QE75Q8DN - Sony Bravia KD-75XF9005 - Sony Bravia KD-75XF9005BU

Any opinions / recommendations ?

Last edited:
Depends on pricing, in order of greatness as far as HDR goes it ranks Q9FN>Q8DN=XF9005

XF9005BU is just the full model number for the same TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom