• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pls help diagnose TV display problem

steve99305

Standard Member
Hi All,

I'm really hoping you can help me diagnose a problem with my telly. I have a Panasonic TX-P42ST50B plasma television.

When looking up close at solid blocks of colour, such as my Apple TV main menu or my television menu I can very clearly see tiny black dots that come and go very quickly in different locations (sort of 'dark sparkles'). As with a lot of people I have a lot of devices plugged in and networked throughout my house. I really thought this would be some sort of corruption so this is what I have tried to eliminate the problem. After each change the black sparkles were still present.

1. Removed the HDMI cables from the equation by unplugging them and just viewing the TV menu.
2. Removed all other devices plugged into and around my TV by powering them off, the only thing plugged into power was my telly.
3. Unplugged lots of other things around the house, including the fridge, Homeplugs and freezer.

I think I have eliminated most things, what have I missed? I'm now down to thinking that it's either my television is faulty or my mains power supply is dirty. I live in a large block of flats. What further steps can I take to figure out what's wrong? If it's the telly I don't want to be calling in the electrician and vice versa.

Thanks in advance.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
If everything has been disconnected and you're still seeing the symptoms the fault is in your Tv, dirty mains supply is rare these days and wouldn't cause those symptoms.
Don't call in an electrician...you need a Tv repair man, the two professions are quite distinct.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom