Pls help choose panny plasma

Psikis

Well, at first i was thinking 42 inch, but yesterday i saw 50px8 at reasonable price (cheaper that 42), which confused me even more.
So i need advice: 42pz70, 42pz80/85 or 50px8.
There will be lots ant lots of SD watching (sky) and dvds. Later will get ps3. So basically the question is: which model out of these 4 ?
What is the difference ? Will i be able to see that difference in picture quality ? What about 24p ? What about the burn-in ? Would i be more safe buying newer model, cause my playing might take up to 4-5 hours in one go.
I'm going crazy over this soooo bad.
Thx guys
p.s. Is there a point to consider other makers ? Or stick to panny (can't afford Pioneer :))

vipergrm

Well, at first i was thinking 42 inch, but yesterday i saw 50px8 at reasonable price (cheaper that 42), which confused me even more.
So i need advice: 42pz70, 42pz80/85 or 50px8.
There will be lots ant lots of SD watching (sky) and dvds. Later will get ps3. So basically the question is: which model out of these 4 ?
What is the difference ? Will i be able to see that difference in picture quality ? What about 24p ? What about the burn-in ? Would i be more safe buying newer model, cause my playing might take up to 4-5 hours in one go.
I'm going crazy over this soooo bad.
Thx guys
p.s. Is there a point to consider other makers ? Or stick to panny (can't afford Pioneer :))
If the majority of your viewing is going to be SD and 24p is a must, I suggest the 50PX8. The only thing about this set is that it is pig ugly. If you really must have full HD then the PZ80 would make more sense. You probably know about Panasonic's 5 year free warranty offer but this is only available if you buy it in a store.

Another 50" set I would consider for less than £1k is the new LG 50PG6000. It has 4 HDMI ports, gorgeous looks, and great SD picture quality. :smashin:

100%WHU

Novice Member
I think it really depends what you want!

All 3 play 24p the PZ85 also has IFC
They are all the latest panels
The PX8 is not full HD where as the other 2 are (but I am sure most people say that depending on the distance you view from, you will not notice the difference between 720p and 1080p
you will just get a very basic tv with the PX8 bit if size is what you want then its the best option

But if you want a TV with better contrast and colours then the PZ80 and PZ85 would be the way to go. Oh and the PZ85 has better sound if you don't have an av amplifier!
:thumbsup:

Psikis

What about the burn-in issue ? All models are the same or some have better protection ?
Or should i ditch panny and go for LG 50PG6000 ?
All i want is the best SD/DVD PQ and burn-in protection, so i could have a good night sleep :)
Will HD Ready and Full HD difference be noticable from around 3 meters away ? How important is resolution for SD viewing ?

Any other alternatives in 50inch market ?

p.s. i was watching this review: http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/televisions/0,39030220,49296403-1,00.htm and noticed phosphorous trails. Does it mean i'll see them on every plasma (cause some ppl don't see/notice them at all) ? That's another worry for me.

nbat58

What about the burn-in issue ? All models are the same or some have better protection ?
Or should i ditch panny and go for LG 50PG6000 ?
All i want is the best SD/DVD PQ and burn-in protection, so i could have a good night sleep :)
Will HD Ready and Full HD difference be noticable from around 3 meters away ? How important is resolution for SD viewing ?

Any other alternatives in 50inch market ?

p.s. i was watching this review: http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/televisions/0,39030220,49296403-1,00.htm and noticed phosphorous trails. Does it mean i'll see them on every plasma (cause some ppl don't see/notice them at all) ? That's another worry for me.
IMHO, I would never ditch a Panny for an LG.:)

bonzobanana

I must admit at 50" I would want to go 1080P. That was the problem I had when I bought mine. I didn't really see the benefit of 1080p at 42" but could at 50" but just couldn't afford a 1080p 50" so basically went for a 720p 42" set which was the PX80. Its fantastic.

A

AV-Dave

I got my 42PZ85b about a week ago over the Internet (ED). It came with a 5yr guarantee.

I thought that the 46" would be too large viewing on SD, as I'm only about 8ft away from the screen but the picture quality is so good on SD that you could easily get away with the larger screen. The sound wasn't all that, but with a TV like this you need to put it through a decent surround system in any case.

I didn't manage to view any HD on it as I had to return it 2 days later because the continual buzzing sound was driving me mad! This seems to be a very very very common fault with these TVs, so common in fact that some would say that it is normal for them to buzz. Be careful of this when buying!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom