1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pls help a novice re pros & cons of rear-pro vs CRT?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Hippychick, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Hippychick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi - I recently moved house and my 24" widescreen TV looks like a midget in my new living room. I am undecided between replacing it with a 36" CRT or a 42" rear-projection TV. I've heard good things about the Phillips 36PW9607 but it's obviously very bulky with the CRT and I'm not sure it will go round the stairs in my house.

As a result I've been thinking of maybe getting a rear-projection TV but I've never had one of these before so I wanted to get some advice on the pros & particularly the cons of these. Sorry in advance for the long list of Qs...

- £ for £ how good is the picture quality & sound vs a similar sized CRT? (assume the same manufacturer made both so brand is not a price issue here and that similar spec applies e.g DD sound, 100Hz refresh rate)
    - how reliable are rear-pros and what is their useful life (will it die a lot quicker than a CRT would?)
    - purely practical point: where could I hook up/stack up my kit (Sky+, DVD, VCR)- the CRT models have cabinets to deal with this but the rear-pros cabinets don't seem to.
    - I've heard about a few of the pitfalls e.g. screen burn, what others are there?
    - are there any other specific upsides of rear-projection, excluding larger possible screen sizes and reduced required depth of machine which I already know about?

All input gratefully received, I don't want to spend a lot of money on something which isn't really suitable. If you you want to recommend any specific models that would be really helpful.