Pls advise 55 to 65 inch wall mounted

lutontown

Standard Member
Hi my TV is definalty broken. A quote to repair is abit silly given the fact I am desperate for a larger telly makes this the moment.

My factors are.
1x sofa about 2.5 meters from TV
1 x sofa 5 M from TV at a 45 degree angle
So I think I need a decent view angle.

We have sky q, HD, not sure about what we watch that's 4k etc..
Is there much stuff?

I have ps 4 and Nintendo Switch and blueray dvd with sky set up

I like inputs for a laptop
I watch footy on the telly and movies, kids watch usual stuff and wife watches eastenders ect.

My research points me to a Sony 65 inch 9505 but this is really out of budget.

Can I spend less, I recal that panasonic were decent afew years ago and LG and samsung have so many models.

Really I want to spend under 1399 as I need to factor bracket and fitting. However stuff like decent motion and blacks as well as things like hdr and dolby would be good. Help please

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Can I spend less

Yes, you can spend a lot less, the part that requires spending money on that Sony is HDR. Anything much under that model and they won't display HDR well.

I recal that panasonic were decent afew years ago and LG and samsung have so many models.

Panasonic don't make decent LCD's anymore. LG's are pretty much all IPS panels and while they may suit you for viewing angles don't have as good picture quality as a VA panel.

Start here - **New** My best value TVs, 2020-2021 Edition

vickster

Distinguished Member
You’d need to pay Sky more for UHD (vs. Normal HD)

lutontown

Standard Member
Pay sky even more. Lol. Already 60 a month, grrr

Its just so confusing with all the new stuff like dolby vison and this hdr.

I might just save my cash buy a Hitachi from argos. Seems decent enough.
Failing that I will re visit tjhe guides. Can anyone recommend the best future proof TV for upto 1300. As an alternative

Thanks all for replys

Dodgexander

Pricing is pretty dynamic, a week ago the Sony XH9505 was 1250 and I'm sure I've seen people get price matches to get it beneath 1200.

The obvious alternative is the Samsung Q90T, cheaper at the moment. You can read a comparison I made not too long ago between the two:

The Samsung has better viewing angles too, which may be useful for your secondary seating position.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member

Dolby Vision is a more advanced form of HDR. Sources such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney + etc have it. Normal TV doesn't, but watching HDR content on a non-HDR capable TV can make for a poor experience.

You need to do a bit of reading and understand what you're buying and if it's worthwhile for you.
buy a Hitachi from argos.

Really....don't.

Plenty of decent budget TVs about that will be better than that and you'll get a better warranty from the likes of Richer Sounds, John Lewis etc. 5/6 years instead of one.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Pay sky even more. Lol. Already 60 a month, grrr

I might just save my cash buy a Hitachi from argos. Seems decent enough.
Failing that I will re visit tjhe guides. Can anyone recommend the best future proof TV for upto 1300. As an alternative

Thanks all for replys
Phone them up, threaten to leave (assuming you’re not under contract), negotiate a deal

rorton

I keep banging the drum of HDR and im so pleased I read the guides and spent the extra to get a 9505.

The image compared to an older 4k non HDR Panasonic is night and day - we have the full Netflix subscription, and we watch anything in HDR because it just looks so good!

I have sky too, and haven't used it much in ages - when we do I have the output of the sky box set to 1080i and let the TV upscale the picture, and its very good. I don't have a Sky box capable of HDR, and apparently there are a few issues with HDR on sky at the moment?

If you really can't afford, don't spend the extra, but if you need a bit of persuasion to spend just a little bit extra then id say go for it, Im glad I did.

lutontown

Standard Member
Ye I'm glad luton are still in the championship they really don't pay much more than Wycombe on wages so we extremely well compared to all the premiersh*t wannabe. Gonna loose afew players over the summer as we got afew out of contract

Steve Davis was awesome, Andre gray plays for scum now and is abit of a wally by all accounts

Can I I ask about the Panasonic 65 820 model this seems to get good reviews. Can I ask what would be the best TV for approx 1000 or just over. My needs above.. Thanku all

Dodgexander

The HX820 is just the same TV as the HX800. Its not really good value for money compared to other TVs since it comes with only a 60hz panel and still has limited HDR capability. It also has narrow viewing angles so it won't be suited to your secondary seating position.

Basically needing good viewing angles you either need to go for a mid/low tier TV using an IPS panel such as Sony/LGs in the guide, or if you want to spend a bit more to get something more premium and capable of displaying HDR properly an LCD TV in the high tier section that has a wide viewing angle filter like the Sony XH9505 or Samsung Q90T.

If you push the budget higher you can also consider OLED TVs that have perfect viewing angles.

Yeah I've heard that about Gray before, he'll always be great in my eyes though for all the goals he scored for us. Its funny however that since he left his form has gone downhill!

Ironically Steve Davis became a bit of a traitor to Burnley, he jumped ship when Owen Coyle left for Bolton as a first team coach and he celebrated when they later beat us. A bit of a panto villain haha. By all accounts though he's a good guy and now works in recruitment at Everton so he's done well for himself after playing.

You never quite see Steve Davis runs today, the guy could literally take on any player on the pitch and smash it in the top corner. He was awesome scoring from corners too.

lutontown

Standard Member
As a Burnley fan when I think of Luton Town three names come to mind.

1. Steve Davis
2. Andre Gray
3. John Spicer going in goal.

Glad to see you guys back in the Championship.

The HX820 is just the same TV as the HX800. Its not really good value for money compared to other TVs since it comes with only a 60hz panel and still has limited HDR capability. It also has narrow viewing angles so it won't be suited to your secondary seating position.

Basically needing good viewing angles you either need to go for a mid/low tier TV using an IPS panel such as Sony/LGs in the guide, or if you want to spend a bit more to get something more premium and capable of displaying HDR properly an LCD TV in the high tier section that has a wide viewing angle filter like the Sony XH9505 or Samsung Q90T.

If you push the budget higher you can also consider OLED TVs that have perfect viewing angles.

Yeah I've heard that about Gray before, he'll always be great in my eyes though for all the goals he scored for us. Its funny however that since he left his form has gone downhill!

Ironically Steve Davis became a bit of a traitor to Burnley, he jumped ship when Owen Coyle left for Bolton as a first team coach and he celebrated when they later beat us. A bit of a panto villain haha. By all accounts though he's a good guy and now works in recruitment at Everton so he's done well for himself after playing.

You never quite see Steve Davis runs today, the guy could literally take on any player on the pitch and smash it in the top corner. He was awesome scoring from corners too.
Steve Davis was excellent.
We just lost our striker on a free today . Modern football is rubish really. Money has ruined it.

Yes thanks for the panny advise, the motion looked decent in the shop, guess they are over charging like you say in the guide

Back to TV.

The 2 models you suggest look great.. But they are out of range just.. And we can't really wait

How much lower spec is the Sony 9005 or the hisense q8. These seem the next best otherwise I would opt for the Sony 9505 that you suggest. Perhaps if I settle for 55 inch it would help. But the viewing distance on the main sofa is about 2. 75 metres and the other sofa is 5 meters away..

I fancy more hdr stuff will be about on Netflix ect, so I think it's the way to go.

Great advise here.. Thankyou

faidtoblack

The two best deals on (higher end) 65" TVs at the moment are the LG65CX and the Sony 65XH9505 in my opinion. Obviously you will need to decide which tech suits in terms of OLED vs LED.

The LG 65CX is slightly over budget but is decently priced at £1578 with PCR direct (normally £1778 but £200 off with code 21SPRING200). If you are going to buy that TV then personally I would get JL to price match it and if you buy it before June 1st you should also be able to claim the £100 JL e voucher. I know it is more than your budget but I am mentioning it because it is a good deal (the best price the LG65CX has ever been is £1519). I would image RS and other retailers will also soon have a £200 discount on this TV as well over the next few days as it seems to be that once one does they all follow suit.

Costco online have the Sony 65XH9505 for £1149 which is also a good deal.

Posters above have already covered the main points about the two TVs but in short they are both great depending on usage and which ever tech would suit you best.

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
You could take a road trip and buy my 65” LG C8 OLED thats in the classifieds with 3 years JL warranty remaining.... :D

Don’t spend a fortune on a bracket btw, the Invision ultra strong from Amazon is around £50 and I’ve used it for the C8 and now a 77” OLED.

Dodgexander

The Hisense U8Q is decent but has a know red ghosting problem. If you don't notice it its great value for money.

Sony XH9005 a step down with HDR but if you don't use it often maybe it doesn't matter.

Both these have narrow viewing angles.

Sony XH9505 at Costco is probably best if you want to stick in budget.

lutontown

Standard Member
Do rs and jl match Costco? I doubt it as its a members discount? I could stretch to 1150 but the missus will kill me. Its bad enough justifying a 55 inch TV nevermind a 65, then the cost.

Secondly I just had a heart attach at the bracket prices in rs.

Would the amazon Invision bracket mentioned above be good for a 65 TV. It will be on an external wall but in a corner so will need to abit of centre and not perfectly angled between both walls so it fits. Will probably tilt it about 45 degrees odd

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
Do rs and jl match Costco? I doubt it as its a members discount? I could stretch to 1150 but the missus will kill me. Its bad enough justifying a 55 inch TV nevermind a 65, then the cost.

Secondly I just had a heart attach at the bracket prices in rs.

Would the amazon Invision bracket mentioned above be good for a 65 TV. It will be on an external wall but in a corner so will need to abit of centre and not perfectly angled between both walls so it fits. Will probably tilt it about 45 degrees odd

I had my 65” C8 on the Invision bracket for nearly 2 years and now have my 77” AG9 on it. It’s rock solid. It’s a double arm swivel bracket with lots of movement so I don’t see an issue with fitting it like that.

faidtoblack

I doubt they will match Costco since its a club store and they state in their terms they will only match a price available to everyone.

You can always try though.
It might vary but my local RS will beat Costco prices (by £10 under 1k and £20 over 1k) as long as you are a Costco member. If not then they will still beat the price but they add on the £15 Costco membership price.

JL won't match Costco though (unless you get lucky in a store).

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Hisense increases Laser TV sales following Euros
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Smart Start offer grants access to premium TV apps
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
DS Audio launches third generation DS003 optical cartridge
  • By Andy Bassett