Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Plotting a response curve...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by BigToe, Nov 17, 2003.

1. BigToe

BigToe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

What would I need in order to plot a response curve for my Shiva sub? I don't have access to an SPL meter, would it be possible to record the SPL with a standard mic attached to my computer? Are there any specific (automatic?) programs geared around SPL readings, or is it a simple (yet time consuming) case of playing one frequency after another and sticking it all in a table?

Cheers,

Chris

2. BigToe

BigToe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I've realised that the microphone idea is probably a bit silly :blush: I'm guessing it wouldn't be able to record such pressure levels without distortion.

So, are there any programs that simplify the whole procedure? Such as playing each frequency a step at a time and providing a means to enter the results as I go along?

Cheers

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You could do the mic thing...... but you would need a preamp so that you could get a line level signal into the pc. There are then programs like spectraplus which will do you a response automatically and are free for 30 day trial.

ad