PLIIx

cj

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Anyone know when this will available for purchase/download?

Their current website front page is Sep-Oct, so maybe in November... I think it'll be a matter of weeks/days rather than months anyway.

It's very close, I'm one of the beta-testers and we're currently running the 'final beta version'. Fingers crossed it'll be out v. soon.

PS PL2x is very good and worth the wait!

I recently got myself a TAG AV32, it is only a single processor, but it does have PL2 and is 5.1 (not By-Pass). So would I be able to have PL2x? or do you have to have the dual processor and 7.1.

Cheers.

I am afraid it is available for the 32r D.P or 192r only.
The "problem" that exists for single processor unit owners is, as i understand it that Analogue Devices have stopped writting code/libraries for that particular processor quite some time ago.

Regards

Steven.

Originally posted by Steve.EX
I am afraid it is available for the 32r D.P or 192r only.
The "problem" that exists for single processor unit owners is, as i understand it that Analogue Devices have stopped writting code/libraries for that particular processor quite some time ago.

Regards

Steven.

That's a pity,but I suppose inevitable given the pace of processor developments....not really sure I need PLIIx that much!

If/when I do get the dual Sharc upgrade it will be for the TMREQ.

Well, when you do go for the DP, you'll get 11x free then! Not a bad little bonus! Also, don't underestimate the value of the THX Ultra2/Music post-processing modes. I never used to use THX as it deadened the sound, now I use Ultra2 Music as a forced mode every time....

So many things to spend it on...and so many cash demands before Xmas!.....have to wait until later,especially since I want a better sub also!

By the way, Steve.EX: Nice set-up! But why no DVD32?!? Are you pleased with the '250s? I've been wondering about them but it's quite an outlay!

Phil
(AV32rDP/DVD32r/100x5r/60p)

Phil.

I have been using the Tosh for quite a while now and have borrowed a dvd32r on many occasions, i have hummed and harred for an awful long time but am reasonably confident i have made the right decision in holding off for a while until such clarifications as HDMI and DVD-A etc are realised.
Also a consideration is that i am far more into sound side of things than visual as my sit-up-and-beg RPTV and LCD PJ are testament too, and whilst granted the dvd32r does offer to my ears a superior movie soundtrack playback (but not massively i have to say) video playback is hardly being pushed given my rather poor (but bearable to me) display devices, all will change in the not to distant future now doubt.
I like the 250mr's - what can i say? this forum is littered with Tag amplification haters but i feel they drive my fairly easy going load wise Kef's with finese and drive, i bought them for a steal and i do mean a steal when some dealers were giving the stuff away, and am very pleased, dare i say it? "satisfied " with how it's all performing at present.
TMREQ is just wonderful as regards my room and has been the best spend i have made for some time that's for sure, roll on PL2x.

Regards

Steven.

Sounds very good Steve,and you've also obviously made a good bargain of the amps....my only real criticism of the Tag power amps(as one of the Tag amp haters here!) has been their relatively poor performance into difficult loads.
As for the sound of one amp against another,that's definitely down to individual preferences,and explains why one person may prefer Krell to Levinson or Tag.

I do like the sound/performance/value of the AV32R,and find it goes very well with my amps and speakers though.

Any half-decent amp should have no 'sound' at all. TMA performed a blind listening A/B/X test with their own amps and Bryston, and they couldn't be differentiated. That's as it should be.

I'm using TMA 250 and 100 amps to bi-amp B&W N-802's and they drive them superbly even at high listening levels.

The aim of hi-fi is the 'fidelity' bit, IMHO. Components which colour the sound have no place in a hi-fi setup.

Peter

I have been arguing this for years! When I set up experiments at home no one can spot differences (levels etc), when we all go to 'shops' then the more expensive amp is always better. Call me paranoid.....:)

Originally posted by The Beekeeper
... no one can spot differences (levels etc), when we all go to 'shops' then the more expensive amp is always better...

Dominic,

When I added the TMA 250 amps to my N-802 speakers (bi-amping them with 250x2R on bottom and 100x5R on top) I actually did notice an improvement, but only at high volume. The load of the N-802 is apparently complex and needed the extra power; I'm told others have had exactly the same experience with this same setup.

As a matter of interest I tried a friend's large Classe Omega 500W amps in place of the TMA amps, and noticed no difference.

So I think there's a small caveat to my original statement - provided the amp is powerful enough to drive the load and isn't clipping, there should be no difference in sound between half-decent modern amplifiers. If there is a 'characteristic' sound to the amp, don't buy it!:nono:

Peter

At high volumes is the thing here, I wrote a piece about people not having enough power a while ago. I am currently working on a response to it but it is taking an age (been away allot). At low volumes, where all amps are driving the speakers correctly, no sound differences, at high volumes…. Well a difference with the amps ‘topping out’.

I still think the amount of power we really need is much more than we currently have but the amount of power we really need is more than most speakers can actually handle anyway! A sort of chicken and egg senario

Anyone got a date for 4.10 release? I'm finding myself a little silly… it's now almost two months that I go to the download page every day… also I think the link to 4.10 is switched between the 192R and the 32 DP.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom