1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLIIx??

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by mdeletr, Jul 18, 2004.

1. mdeletr

mdeletr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i have a question.
    I have the 4.31 version on my AV32R DP.
    I have the 5.1 version and have purchased the PLIIX license.
    Am i missing something? I have no mode that i can choose that is called PLIIX, or is it so that the thing called PLII music, movie and game is the new PLIIX? I beeing somewhat confused. I just wanna know that i aint missing something. Is the explanation that the new X mode is in the PLII, but it is just called PLII Music, move and game?

Jonas Svensson

2. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    PLIIx is an upgrade on the Prologic II system, mainly for 6.1 and 7.1 systems. The 'x' bit only shows when you have more than 5 primary speakers....

2 Ch source material:
    5.x system : PLII Movie / PLII Music / PLII Game
    6.x/7.1 system: PLIIx Movie / PLIIx Game / PLIIx Game

Multichannel source material with discrete surrounds(SL/SR). PLIIx generates stereo back channels (SBL,SBR):

5.x system : Not possible as not enough speakers
    6.x system : Dolby Digital EX / Dolby Digital + PLIIx Music.
    7.x system : Dolby Digital + PLIIx Movie / Dolby Digital + PLIIx Music / Dolby Digital EX

In v4.31 you get the advantage of the very latest Prologic decoders certified by Dolby, independent of how many speakers you have.

3. TaxHamster

TaxHamster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Jonas,

PLIIx is available if you have the surround back speaker(s) enabled (ie a 6.1 or 7.1 system), otherwise the processing modes available are the same as PLII.

Hope this helps....

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    Did they not tell you that you really need a 7.1 system when you gave them the serial number ??

5. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is the reason why PLIIx is a big ripoff for all of us having only 5.1 DP.
    We can not update to 4.31 without paying this high and useless fee.

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Not exactly, you may have missed the point that the dolby libraries are improved over the old DPLII and are clearly audiable even on a 5.1 unit, whether it is worth the money on a 5.1 unit I can't comment on as everyone will view this differently but I personally used our 7.1DP in 5.1 mode with DPLIIx software to good effect.

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    I have come from the meridian camp and although I got really annoyed at the delays between software updates, at least they were always free.

8. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Nothing in life is really free.....Software updates either fix bugs (which should indeed be "free") or offer new surround formats for which a licence is paid or improved features which may or may not be free, you either pay up front in the price of the kit (and updates may never happen) or you pay as and when you think you need them (TAG's approach, who also did loads of free updates and feature requests).
    TAG's approach was far far better than anyone else's and they never made money out of it as that much is now pretty obvious :( All owners enjoyed it whilst it lasted and hope IAG carry on in a similar vein...... :lease:

9. mdeletr

mdeletr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all replys, I now understand it completely.
    Gonna go for the 7.1 upgrade for my DP if it´s still available.

Regards.

Jonas Svensson

10. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    After being pampered by free upgrades that delivered useful additions, I winced at paying for PLIIx but...

I don't know whether it was the improved Dolby libraries of something Steve Harris did (he denied it) but the sound was distinctly different and I thought it sounded a lot nicer. I might have been able to tweak settings in the older software to get the same effect but I didn't discover how. It was money well spent IMHO.