1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLII - Honest Opinions??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kelvin, Apr 25, 2002.

1. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Weny into my local Sony centre today to ask the guy a couple of questions about availability/price etc of the STRDB1070 and was met with the reply "don't go near it, it's an overpriced unit with limited features..... you need something with PLII... wait until the new STRDB1080 comes out!!" Hmmm... needless to say I was a little bit surprised at his sales approach. Seemed like a total w4nker to me but still.... each to their own I guess!!

Anyway, off the point I know but it got me thinking - is PLII really worth waiting for?? I know it's supposed to be relatively impressive but bearing in mind I'm only going to be connecting to a DVD and MD deck I don't particularly have a need for it at the moment. However, is it worth waiting for JUST for the sake of being "up to date" and JUST INCASE I ever need it???? Opinions please... v. confused!!! :confused:

Kelvin :D

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    PL 2 is only of use for TV and Pro Logic tapes so if you are mainly into DVD it will be of less use. there is a PL 2 mode for music but opinion is that it doesn't sound very good.

When the Sony 1070 came out it was originally £600 and after a while fell to £450 so bear in mind that the 1080 when it comes out will cost you more than you can buy a 1070 for today.

Having said that the price will drop even further when the replacement comes out as dealers will need to shift "outdated stock"

3. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I wouldn't buy an a/v amp without it, but then I do watch a lot of TV through it. I've heard a lot of good things about Pro Logic II though.
    Mark

4. le hutch

le hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say this guys sales approach is to be commended as he clearly wasnt going to sell you something that was poor value for money....

5. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The salesman is right, and one of a kind, DPL2 is great for the many DVDs prologic, DD 2.0 or PCM, many CDs, and for the TV, VHS and tunner, go for it...

6. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Lowrider, you need PLII. Quite a few older films are in Dolby stereo or Prologic and PLII makes a huge difference. I would look at other makes as well as Sony as many other manufacturers have PLII already on their AV amps.
    Rog

7. Raveun2

Raveun2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think no matter what ppl say here you're still going to be confused as opinions are divided.

My 10p worth is that manufactures seem hell bent on getting the latest thing on their amps to justify a price hike. You just have to look at when DD first came out on amps and at what price they were, and now look how cheap they are. I admit DD was a big leap from pro logic and paying extra for it might well of been justified for the extra quality. The same could be said of 6.1 matrix or discrete as this pushes boundaries even further but PL2 ? Have we taken a step backwards ! This is still matrixed 2 channel sound we're talking about here. Granted it's nice to have it on your amp but I wouldn't spend any extra for it. It should just be a replacement for the old PL. Its not exactly cutting edge. After all are you gonna wait for the next blockbuster action movie to come on the telly and watch it in PL2 or buy the Video ? No, you're gonna watch it first on DVD in 5.1/6.1 sound with its superb picture and sound quality that is why you bought a DVD player after all ?

You have to think of how many times you're likely to use PL2 to justify waiting or paying the extra. I would be more inclined to spend a little extra on DD 6.1 which is a far better enhancement and you'd be "up to date" as you call it. Some new movies have been matrixed for that centre rear even though they're missing out on the "ex / es" on some packaging.

I would shop around first though as the Sony shop might be a little biased towards Sony amps !!!

8. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But surely most amps that are specified with ES/EX 6.1 will have DPLII anyway?

If you watch a lot of TV, old videos or other DPL encoded material the DPLII makes a difference. If you only ever watch dd or DTS encoded DVDs you dont need DPLII. Also how many extras on DVD come in DD? Not many most of them are in stereo or DPL.

But the there are loads of DVDs with only Dolby Surround (DPLI) which in my experience are enhanced with DPLII.

Also paying extra is a bit misleading. Most manufactirers dont have two models of the same amp one with and one without DPLII.

The lower spec amps may not have DPLII buyt mid range and above will. Surely you are buying the better spec amp for improved sound, extra power and better build quality in addition to extra features.

Rog

9. Raveun2

Raveun2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My AX1 has 6.1 but not PL2. I upgraded from the A1. For £1000 (£1000 off) I thought it was a bargain. Now I could upgrade yet again and spend £2000 on the AZ-1 to have the latest stuff which has PL2. But I'd rather spend the money upgrading my speakers.

If I follow all the latest stuff that comes out I'd be changing my amp every year. You have to draw a line somewhere. Dolby, THX and DTS can't wait to put the next latest thing out. So the latest is Neo6, PL2, 6.1 discrete, etc, etc. Manufacturers are racing to keep up with the latest thing and replacing their amps all over the shop as they don't want to appear "behind the times". This is starting to resemble the PC market. Pentium put out their latest processor for example then the older processors drop in price. Geforce 4, another example. Are you actually gonna use the extra processing power ? god no. They're competing against AMD. So what do you do, you pick up the old processor which is adequate for your needs and get a bargain with it. (Ian J touches on this)

So do you want to shop around for that bargain or get the latest gear which has PL2 which you MAY or my not use ?

My learned friend rnjones has probably got a P4 with a Gforce graphics card !

10. Epithet

Epithet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You asked for "Honest Opinions" and you have received very helpful replys from both the pro-PLII and the "don't waste you money" camps.

My Denon 3802 is the centre of my home-cinema and HI-FI system and is therefore used for listening to DVDs, CDs, television and radio. When not watching DVDs the amp defaults to PLII which I prefer to 2 or 5 channel stereo, particulary when listening to music. To help you decide an objective view on PLII is available at the following link.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_1/dolby-prologic2-3-2001.html

If you decide to go for PLII check that the music mode allows you to alter the panorama, dimension and width parameters.

11. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks a lot for all the helpful reply's :cool:

Hope I didn't rock the boat too much - the comments about the salesman were prob a bit unnecessary at the time but I was just a little ****ed off at his attitude - I guess you had to have been there to know what I'm talking about. Best drop it now... ;)

I think in general you guys have answered all of the queries that I aleready had re PLII. It would be a "nice" feature to have but I don't think I can justify paying £200 more for the new model (seen the 1070 for £380 - doubt the 1080 is going to come in at less than £550???) just for the sake of having it, especially when I'm primarily going to be using the amp for DVD use. The main reason for sticking with Sony is that both of my other components are from the QS range and it would be nice from an aesthetic pont of view to keep the amp the same, plus I've always been a big Sony fan and I don't see that any of their amps are worse from a features point of view than the Denon/Marantz etc. equivalent. :D Anyway..... I'm kinda rambling now so best shut up...

Thanks again,

Kelvin

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    When I bought my amp i thought DD DTS would do me fine but with the GC launch close I find that PL11 may be needed,don't want to replace the amp, thank god for 6channel input, so anyone heard or seen a PL11 processor or 6.1 ES/EX addon unit?
    I know that a new amp would be the best option but I cant afford to change it for at least 2 years, I have a console, CD burner, Minidisc and many DVD's to buy.
    PS urls greatfully received.;) ;) ;)