Question Plex

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by eamon, Nov 15, 2018.

1. eamon

eamon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Hi, I have heard so many good things about Plex but... what exactly does it do? I currently have Sky Q, Apple TV, Amazon prime and I think will get Netflix soon. I have also got Apple Music plus loads of photos etc from all phones etc. I have had an email offering discount on lifetime membership to Plex and it says about being able to record and stream the Sky Q amongst other thing but how does it all connect up? Sorry for sounding dumb!

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,066
    Plex is akin to your own version of Netflix or Amazon.

You install the Plex server on a computer, then load it up with content (movies, pics, music etc) then install Plex clients on any devices which have them and Plex generates a media library from that content, so anyone who has Plex can stream the content.

Plex pass is the Plex subscription services that Plex locks some features behind, one of these is the live TV and PVR features, if you connect a compatible network TV server to Plex so it also acts as a streaming service to your TV source. I'm unsure about Sky Q as the network TV servers typically only work with free to air broadcasts.

It doesnt sound like you have much use for Plex, if you want to use it just for photos Plex Pass is a waste of money and there are less costly alternatives to Plex like Emby which do the same things.

3. eamon

eamon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Thank you very much, I did wonder how it could be used for Sky Q

4. ristac

ristac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Only illegally with people selling subscription services (Sky)