Plex using Chromecast with Google TV

Madest Maxwell

Novice Member
Greetings and Happy New Year.

I am thinking of getting Chromecast with Google TV as a cheaper alternative to Nvidia Shield TV pro. to stream via Plex. I am using a Sony STR-DN1080 AV Receiver and Panasonic OLED TV TH-65HZ1000Z which does not support the Plex app.

I want to stream files in Atmos and I also have a lot of Flac 5.1 music files I want to play. It's as "simple" as that !!

Can anyone confirm that Chromecast with Google TV will be able to stream Atmos and 5.1 flac music files via Plex ? My recent tech purchase errors have been numerous, primarily thinking my new Panasonic TV would supports a Plex app which was a $3000 "mistake". I then bought a Smartvu streaming box that couldn't even stream in stereo out of a paper bag and is a useless piece of junk. I am trying to avoid further blunders !! The fact I talked my wife into "upgrading" from our Samsung QA65Q7FNAS which wouldn't handle Atmos to the Panasonic is the silent elephant in the room.
Any help very much appreciated.

Cheers

Johnny

next010

Distinguished Member
According to the googletv review here which tested plex it didn't work with lossless audio. If you happen to own an Xbox series console Plex has been upgraded on that to do what your after but the cost of these new is much higher than Shield.

Nvidia Shield remains ideal candidate with Plex client or Kodi with Plex addon if you also want a streaming services box.

OSMC Vero 4K+ is another option as media player, it runs Kodi so can use Plex addon and costs less then lower end Shield box but not sure about price of getting those in aus.

Madest Maxwell

Novice Member
Many thanks next010. Wow, that's a surprise that googletv won't even handle lossless either. The majority of my substantial music library is all lossless.

I have read about Kodi being an excellent vehicle for Plex. It looks like ShieldTV will be the simplest most affordable option. Mind you I will certainly check out that Vera 4K. I read somewhere that setting up Kodi with Plex is not too tricky. Surely....!!

Thanks again.

Johnny

next010

Distinguished Member
Via Nvidia Shield TV pro ? I am just about to buy Shield TV pro !!

Not sure about Plex client but Kodi definitely passes TrueHD, if you install the plex add-on within Kodi addon section then it will use Kodi as media player.

There is a guide here on Plex client Shield TrueHD

TrueHD Atmos is just TrueHD audio + atmos metadata, if the system can pass TrueHD then it can pass Atmos variant.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom